[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so as a bio major I'm required to participate in scientific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

so as a bio major I'm required to participate in scientific popularization projects, and one of them involves teaching genetics to a bunch of high school brats. does anyone know anything practical I can do in a school besides some crappy strawberry DNA extraction?
I thought about a chromosome preparation but the protocols I know require a centrifuge.
>>
>>8364714
Just do some bullshit circus show and at the end of the class tell them to study math instead
>>
>>8364714
Teach lysenkoism.
>>
>>8364714
>Pair the boys and girls together (this is horny teens were dealing with)
>have them each write down on a strip of paper (colored for gender) some tgca in random order. make sure only they know it.
> gather strips
>select three and put a red D on each. (representing a terrible genetic disease)
>Now mix it in a bowl and have the students take turns picking from the bowl without looking
>get all girls to show their genes. get their partners to show their genes.
>bring up the ones with the disease.
>whisper to them that its disease, ask them to spread it to as many as possible.
>have students get new strips and write down their sequence on each
>have them add the paired sequence from other students
> collect all who have the disease sequences
>tell them they have a rare disease, called horny-teen-syndrome
>proceed to have orgy

The last two you can ignore if you want. but try the rest however you want, it will be entertaining

~Anon
>>
>>8364738
>>8364738
what's up with this teenagers are horny meme
everyone is horny
>>
>>8364738
that sounds fun anon but I'm confused
how are the people with the disease supposed to spread it
>>
>>8364714
Start with simplified fruit flies or peas squares.

Identify physical traits of them and use the squares to determine the genetic traits.

At the end, show a sequenced genome and relate it to the squares.

You could also talk about genetic mutations and how they are researched.

Pretend you're the kaku of biology and make edgy confusing inaccurate metaphors.
>>
>>8365734
by fucking of course
>>
>>8364714
Sex. Do something about gay monkeys or something. Bound tp be some sjws already having made a presentation about dat shit
>>
Teach them on how whites are genetically superior to niggers. Redpill them with science
>>
>>8366161

That moment when a black student in the class understands everything OP has to teach about genetics more than the white kids.

>b--but Tyrone is an exception
>y-you've been r-r-redpilled
>w-white p-p-power
>>
>>8364714
>but the protocols I know require a centrifuge.

How much sample are you working with? What budget do you have? Bench-top micro centrifuges can be pretty cheap.
>>
>>8365718
>teenagers are horny
>NOOO everyone is horny
t. teenager
You'll understand when you grow up kid
>>
>>8366211
I got only material I can borrow from a few labs. if you are talking about a small centrifuge for pcr tubes then I might be able to get one. but I'm skeptical they reach high enough rpm
>>
>so as a bio major I'm required to participate in scientific popularization projects

where do you go? undergrad or grad?
>>
>>8364714
green flourecent protein recomb for them
>>
>>8364724
kek this. Flavour with some Lamarck too.

I actually had to send back a rather scathing remark on a paper I was peer reviewing a few months ago because the authors made a few comments about genetics which were entirely Lamarckian. I was staggared.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.