[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, I'm new to the board and I was just wondering if Nuclear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: farnsworth.png (116KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
farnsworth.png
116KB, 320x240px
Hi, I'm new to the board and I was just wondering if Nuclear Engineering is still a viable career, and if so whether a masters is sufficient. Also what a day-to-day job in NE would be like. I'll delete this if it is better suited to a QTDDTOT
>>
>>8345964
>Also what a day-to-day job in NE would be like.

>show up to work
>answer some emails
>have a meeting
>make a round through the plant
>fill out 9000 pages of DoE paperwork for a 2 inch ball valve
>do more paperwork
>even more fucking paperwork
>lunch
>more emails
>read a journal or two
>get the 3 pm crash and just browse 4 chan the rest of the day
>go home
>>
>>8345964
studied nuclear engineering but work as a physicist in the medical industry, so not quite what you're looking for but my daily grind is:

>show up
>check nitrogen dewar for IGe detector to see if needs filled
>get cc'd on hella emails
>get called to troubleshoot some problem some manufacturing worker has that typically is no more than an issue of mistaken units
>measure iodine for impurities before allowing into production
>lunch
>weekly/monthly meeting
>get called/paged to measure calibration seeds/strands
>get calls from ADCLs to send cal seeds
>implying 4chan isn't blocked at work
>go home
some days i'm barely at my desk, running around trying to fit everything in, other days i get paid for about 30 minutes of total
>>
>>8345999
was it hard to find a job or did you just prefer the physicist role more?
>>
>>8345999
>implying you are too stupid to evade a block for websites
>>
>>8346004
I applied to 200-400 or so places, and never got a callback for any "real" nuclear engineering jobs. I got offered a spot on lockheed's compact fusion R&D team, but they rescinded it citing "restructuring" and then I got the job i have now. Actually just today got an email saying I was still under consideration for 3 positions at LLNL, but yeah, I was more looking for a research or lab type environment, but still applied for tons of straight engr jobs, just didn't get interest from employers for engr. got phone interviews for some plasma phys labs and one from los alamos, but no offers from them
i switched from mechanical after soph year, and while it probably wouldve been easier finding a job, i'm glad i switched, considering the engrs where i work seem to have very boring jobs (but they're more mechanical/electrical/manufacturing than nuclear engineers
>>
>>8345999
are you in QA
>>
>>8346014
no, i'm in the radiation physics dept
>>
the only way to really guarantee you a spot in the nuclear industry as a nuclear engineer is to do a stint in the Navy.
>>
>>8346018
>>8346013
>>8346020
Would you guys recommend any alternatives that you wished you got into?
>>
>>8346031
I like what I do, and working in fusion was my dream job, which I had but basically got screwed out of, so no, I'd still do nuclear engineering considering i like my current job and may still be able to work in fusion later in my career
>>
>>8346041
btw i just did my bachelors, and a few grad courses as electives, so it's not like i did my masters or phd and couldnt find an engr job
>>
>>8346031
>that you wished you got into?
nah. engineer is an engineer for the most part. i work in manufacturing now. the title on your degree doesn't really matter for undergrad.

i'm just glad i didn't go for a masters
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.