[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are the laws of physics what they are? Who decided them?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: buisness.jpg (114KB, 450x448px) Image search: [Google]
buisness.jpg
114KB, 450x448px
Why are the laws of physics what they are? Who decided them? Why can't they be broken?
>>
>why

It's all just memes friend
>>
>>8343767

God decided them
>>
We don't actually know if they are laws.

We assume they are, since they haven't failed yet.
>>
they're hold empirically not a priori. That's the point of the humean view. the law themselves are abstractions of regularities. in a sense they don't exist
>>
>>8343767

They're laws that humans made up in order to try and describe nature through a mathematical model.

We don't know how true they are, but we can make very reasonable and educated guesses that they are true.

They CAN be broken. They just haven't been broken yet. If they were broken, then we would have to create a new model to explain the observation. A new "law".
>>
>>8344401
matter of fact, Einstein broke Newton's Laws
>>
>>8343767

Nobody decided them, they are what they are. Different scientist identified them and documented them.

They arent laws like laws of a country but literally how reality works. You cant break them because it would mean non-existence.
>>
>>8344382
>Godel decided them
Fixed
>>
>>8343767
Pretty much all the laws of physics that matter to us are statistical in nature, which is why they are generally so simple.
>>
>>8343767
The laws of the universe are dumb.

For example, dumb "physicsts" say that F = ma to say that force equals mass times acceleration. SUPPOSEDLY EXACTLY, RIGHT?

But well, what if I gave you my new physics formula

F = ma + 0.000000000001

Who is right? If you do some measurements my formula will be close to what you measure and in some others Newton's formula would be closer.

This means two things:

(1) I am as smart as Newton for coming up with a formula as good as his.
(2) Physics is subjective because even though these two formulas are pretty much indistinguishable, there is no objective argument for choosing one or the other. It is like picking a favorite movie, absolutely subjective. Sometimes my formula is closer than Newton's and sometimes Newton's formula is closer to reality.

Similarly, there exist infinitely many formulas that could also describe the force, mass and acceleration relation and you could not even get close to telling which one is better at predicting your measurements.

This is why I say that physicists belong in /x/
>>
>>8345308
High level satire. 10/10
>>
>>8343767
Science is just complicated curve fitting with ad hoc rationalizations.
>>
>>8345309
It is no satire.

Go to a high school lab and get some measurements of dropping shit and see what happens.

Honestly, I noticed it the first time I was in a lab. The results were never exactly what the formula would predict so who could argue against my formula?

In fact, how can physicists even throw out the possibility that the constant c = 0.00000000001 is programmed into the universe to be a part of every single relation.

F = ma + c
P = mv + c
etc.

How could they even know? They fucking don't. They fucking can't. Physicists basically throw dice around and see what formula kinda works.
>>
>>8345318
The ability to maintain a joke improves it too!
11/10
>>
>>8343767
Currently unknowable.
Bad question; this just pretends you have some basis for partially answering question 1.
Also bad question. Why can't red be green? It's just nature of things. He idea that this nature actually comes in "law" packages is a human abstraction.
>>
What if the concept of having a law of this universe can't can't ever be broken is flawed? Are there any laws that can't be broken, even theoretically? Are laws even real, or just a convenient construct?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.