[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which fields of engineering are the most difficult in terms of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1472132830022.jpg (65KB, 466x700px) Image search: [Google]
1472132830022.jpg
65KB, 466x700px
Which fields of engineering are the most difficult in terms of mathematical abstraction in the undergraduate level? I already realize all of them are pretty low tier in math until you reach graduate level material.
>>
>until you reach graduate level material.
Do they ever go into abstract math? I'd think the more mathematical parts of later engineering are the numeric and algorithmic things, which is going into the opposite of abstraction (different differentiation schemes are something hands on, whereas e.g. defining paracompact topologies is an act of abstracting from some property of the reals.)
>>
My ee professor does research into fractional order differentiation and some kind of work on infinite matrices that i dont know much about and another guy here who ran the ME department worked on new solutions to some type of inverse matricee he had to have to finish his thesis back in the 70s. That kind of stuff seems pretty in depth to me but im no mathematician.
>>
>>8340525
Yeah, for dealing with fractional differential operators you need to set up function and functional spaces that can be equipped with good topologies (i.e. "how can I steal as many theorems from C^1 and C^2, what do I need for that in this autistic case I'm considering") and the second most likely also deals with odd norms.
>>
Im not saying theyre making great strides in mathematics but they have a grasp on it and attemp at applying it to the physical. Im speakibg of the level of abstraction or difficulty of the math used or 'stolen'
>>
>>8340516
Electrical (specifically stuff like systems and/or photonics), and I believe also materials but I could be wrong about that one because I know nothing about it.
>>
>>8340516
calculus 1
>>
>>8340693
>I have a PhD in differential calculus
>>
>>8340516
I don't think it can be argued that mid - late samurai armor looked pretty cool.
>>
>>8340761
Can you imagine one of these guys in their masks coming down on your vanguard?
>>
>>8340784
Might feel pretty bad man.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.