[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Chance of Carrington Event sized solar storm happening in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: carringtonevent31.jpg (57KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
carringtonevent31.jpg
57KB, 480x320px
>Chance of Carrington Event sized solar storm happening in next 4 years
>1 in 8
>nobody expects it'll happen
>no money spent preparing for it

>Chance of winning the powerball
>1 in 292,201,338.00
>everyone thinks they'll win it
>America alone spends $70billion every year on lotto

Can we talk about this /sci/?
>>
>>8338604
it seems like theres no reliable way of predicting it, and no one gives it enough attention because of that, so no one gives a shit.

All of these doomsday scenarios, no matter where they fall on the spectrum of credible or not, seem to share the common trait of being entirely unpredictable. If we cant predict when its going to happen and someone just keeps saying "soon! soon! whoops, no not this time, but soon! its only a matter of time!" then these claims have little more weight that someone declaring the second coming of christ.

Most well known was the polar shift that everyone was crazy about in 2012. never happened. People have stopped giving a shit.
>>
>>8338604
Where do you get the 1 in 8 figure from?
>>
File: Trump Flag Chain-gun Eagle.jpg (51KB, 659x659px) Image search: [Google]
Trump Flag Chain-gun Eagle.jpg
51KB, 659x659px
>>8338604
This is why we need Trump in the White House. To answer these deep questions.
>>
Can this kill me if I'm on a computer while it happens? Like if it's plugged into the socket and I'm touching it?
>>
>>8338949
His ass.
>>
>>8338995
must be a very talented ass
>>
File: solar_flare_spot_plot.png (68KB, 1500x500px) Image search: [Google]
solar_flare_spot_plot.png
68KB, 1500x500px
>>8338604
X-class solar flares happen quite often. It is just that we have more redundant and robust systems. During bad ones, most space based stuff goes into safe mode and ISS crew members hide in the Russian part of the station. Still, a few satellites get damaged from time to time.

The power grids have too many safe guards to let something like that affect them all that much.
>>
>>8338604
>Chance of Carrington Event sized solar storm happening in next 4 years
>during a downward trend in sun spot/solar flare activity
>one in 2012 was as large as the one in 1859

So, what knee jerk popsci website are you getting your info?
>>
File: 1472468990339.webm (2MB, 700x300px) Image search: [Google]
1472468990339.webm
2MB, 700x300px
>>8339013
Did the Ruskies shield their module from radiation better than the burgers or something?
>>
>>8339039
Yes.
>>
>>8339022
>>one in 2012 was as large as the one in 1859

Yeah, but you conveniently left out the part where the one in 2012 missed Earth, friend.

TBQH I kind of hope a severe one happens on a massive scale and throws us into the dark ages. Normiepocalypse would be comfy desu
>>
>>8339050
It wouldn't be much of a problem though. We've had larger ones hit us since then. Check the charts. Like 1989 you could see Aurora all the way down in Florida.
>>
>>8338604
Why are humans so stupid? Oh wait, I mean policy makers. They are warned and warned and warned yet do nothing until something actually happens. Fucking faggots.
>>
>>8339039
That was footage of a thor rocket containing a 20 kt two-point implosion hollow lens fission weapon. When they realized the rocket would fail, they blew up the explosives in the nuke unevenly to prevent it from detonating.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.