[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you're in the mood for a laugh and you occasionally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

If you're in the mood for a laugh and you occasionally browse other boards such as /fit/, /r9k/ and /fa/ you will quite regularly see posts from men suffering from male pattern baldness either expressing their understandable displeasure at their situation or asking for treatment advice - but seldom is the question asked 'so, when is this going to be actually cured?' - it seems to be assumed that current options are all that will be available pretty much forever, which seems quite an odd thing to assume.

There seems to have been a decent amount of progress in tissue engineering and cell reprogramming in recent years; so I would imagine that qualitatively different treatments would arise in the relatively near future (say, the next 10 years) given how lucrative an actual cure would be.

Indeed, if you google it, you can see that in the last few years there have been some quite significant breakthroughs in the area; for example, see this paper published a few months ago: http://link.springer.com/protocol/10.1007/978-1-4939-3786-8_9

And, indeed, this paper from 2015: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0116892

The methods (which have been demonstrated successfully in the animal models on structures virtually identical to those in the human body) described in the above papers seem qualitatively different and clearly superior to previous treatment protocols; and if implemented successfully seem able to provide a complete cure for male pattern baldness.

So why is there such pessimism about this subject? Is it because many products in the past have been hyped and have turned out not to work? If that is the reason, it seems a poor one, given how qualitatively different this method is - and the fact that it is already known to work in animals, and the structures involved in humans are not materially different.

Or am I wrong about the efficacy of these methods? From reading the papers, they seem likely to be safe and effective.
>>
In particular, there seems to be skepticism that this is even a solvable problem in principle. A number of people seem to think that this is something which literally cannot be done.

Their justification for this belief, when asked, is typically that 'it hasn't already been done' - which doesn't seem to be a strong argument.

Are there any good reasons to suspect that this is something which, in principle, is not amenable to medical intervention?

There is also a common belief that nobody 'wants' to cure it because then they wouldn't be able to sell all sorts of lotions and potions which don't really work.

This argument seems obviously false, as anyone who could sell something which actually did work would - if they could patent it or otherwise legally protect a time-limited monopoly - clearly make a fortune because nobody in their right mind would continue to use products which didn't work if a real cure became available - and indeed many people unhappy with their present situation but skeptical of the efficacy of current treatments would be delighted to hand over their cash for a proven cure. The rest of the industry would be screwed; there's a huge economic incentive to do it.
>>
>>8335036
It will be cured with genetic engineering, since its a pretty simple genetic trait
>>
>>8335048

Do you mean for future people (i.e. those not already born) or for everyone?

Obviously this is something we'll want to edit out of the genome in the future; and that should be reasonably easy. I suspect it will be routinely designed out of the equation in the mid to late 2020s; and be out of the germline almost entirely by mid-century.

But for those people already alive, are you proposing somatic cell gene therapy or what?
>>
>>8335069
Future people of course, way to hard to bother for people who are already adults
>>
>>8335085

What do you make of the methods described in the articles linked to in the original post? They look quite likely to be successful. The former is already being developed commercially by a Japanese national research laboratory (Riken) in collaboration with a manufacturing conglomerate (Kyocera Corporation) http://global.kyocera.com/news/2016/0702_nfid.html
>>
Baldness has already been essentially kind of cured- hair transplants. They've gotten way better in recent years to the point of being pretty much unnoticeable. Only problem is the cost. They're expensive.
>>
>>8335105

Tell that to Wayne Rooney (well-known English footballer).

He's had several and they clearly haven't worked for him.

Can't imagine cost was an issue for him - his football club salary alone is £13m ($17.25m) per year.

Some people clearly have had good results from them; but they seem to work best for people with only slight to moderate problems. If it's more severe, they don't work. There just aren't enough follicles to graft - but that's why the methods I linked to above have such monopoly potential; they can be used to create an unlimited number of androgen-reistant follicles from an autologous sample.
>>
>>8335036
>>8335044
Anon, I'm sorry but you're more or less highlighting typical forms of myopia and stupidity. Most don't know how anything works and as far as their actions and mindsets imply, they live as though they'll just get up, drink their coffee, go to work, and everything is never going to change.

To be entirely blunt your entire post is stomach turningly obnoxious and bordering on asinine. Stop bothering to post about human retardation.
>>
>>8335148

> your entire post is stomach turningly obnoxious

What else did you expect on this board?
>>
>>8335159
Never much.
>>
>>8335036

thank you based japan
>>
>>8335036
Baldness is not a real problem.
>>
>>8335504

I don't know what qualifies something as a 'real problem' in your view, but I don't think whether it is a 'real problem' or not is relevant to the question.

The question is whether it can be fixed. Clearly a lot of people want it to be fixed, and much money could be made in doing so. Whether or not it is a 'real' problem, many people consider it enough of a problem that they're willing to part with cash to remedy it - and that's what matters.
>>
>>8335036
what if I told you that some male pattern baldness was caused by microwaves constantly targeting your head from above, and killing your hair follicles?
>>
>>8335036
>but seldom is the question asked 'so, when is this going to be actually cured?'
That's because that's the /sci/ equivalent to asking "fusion power when?" or "Mars colony when?" It's a meme to just ask when something is going to happen and expecting scientists to finish it sooner than physically possible. It's understandable to meme about stupid shit that doesn't affect you in your everyday life, but these men are actually suffering, so they are being realistic with their concerns rather than meming it up.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.