[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Stewart's Calculus is a good textbook pic related sure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: stewart_kekulus.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
stewart_kekulus.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>Stewart's Calculus is a good textbook

pic related sure looks like mathematical rigor to me. Why do people even recommend this book? Is it just a meme?
>>
People on this board are (on average) 17-18-year-old kids who have just started studying in university. They don't need rigor, they need intuition and motivation. Rigor is for post-graduates such as myself.
>>
>>8324530
its calculus for engineers m8. engineering is literally "seems about right: the job"
>>
>>8324537
>They don't need rigor
stop posting any time
Rigor is the first thing you should learn. Especially if you're an engineer, because you're sure not going to learn it in materials science classes.
>>
File: 1449224519092.jpg (272KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1449224519092.jpg
272KB, 1920x1080px
>>8324559
>stop posting any time

Okay, I'll choose April 4th, 2023, at 6 pm.
>>
>>8324559
rigor is a meme
>>
>>8324559
nigga, once you take numerical methods you never solve anything analytically again as an engineer.

its all RK4 and Crank Nicholson.
>>
File: irons-jones.jpg (81KB, 1200x628px)
irons-jones.jpg
81KB, 1200x628px
>>8324559
tell that to ramanujan

would you shackle god with petty proofs and rigor?

is it god's job to hold your hand through every step of the way just so your inferior brain can understand it a bit better?

should you not just possess a sufficiently good brain that you can intuitively understand the math?

the burden of proof rests on your weak brain, because your weak handicap using rigor as a crutch is the only reason rigor and proofs exist

strong minds don't rely on rigor, weak minds can only rely on rigor
>>
>>8324530
What is wrong with checking if an answer is reasonable?
>>
>>8324530
It does seem about right. It's great that it includes notes on estimation and building intuition.

You're a retard though.
>>
>>8324612
Did you even watch the movie? Hardy was right about rigor and ramanujan was wrong.
>>
>>8324530
I used Simmons' Calculus w/Analytical Geometry and Spivak's 3rd edition for the rigor.

Spivak's intro to analysis book helped me to complete Advanced Calculus by Sternberg/Loomis, and Simmons book helped me do practical calculus for writing video games in the summer at a job. I imagine Stewart's book is the same for good applied Calculus
>>
>>8324559
Have you seen any university calendar/list of recommended core?

You typically have a general applied calculus class they land all students in to bring their highschool math up to speed through review because all schools teach differently, and odds are the kids arriving have never done any kind of real math. That is of course unless they are advanced enough to move into Honors Calc which in case you would do Apostol's Calc book, which is rigorous.

After applied calc and their highschool deficiencies are fixed those students in various fields that require it then take an intro to mathematical thinking type course that teaches them proofs and first order logic/propositional logic. Then from there you go into courses that require proofs and are rigorous.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.