[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, so I'm taking differential equations and I feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 20160904_154623.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_154623.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
Hey guys, so I'm taking differential equations and I feel like such a dumbass cause I got stuck on this integral. How would I go about evaluating this? I know it's integration by parts but that thing just turns into a monster.
>>
>>8322417
just integrate it by parts, family
>>
The integral of [math]1/f(x) = f(x)^{-1}[/math] is [math]0[/math].
>>
>>8322417
[math]\int\frac{1}{e^{2x}+4}dx=\frac{1}{4}\int\frac{1}{(\frac{e^x}{2})^2+1}dx[/math]

Which will be an arctan(u) integral...
>>
>>8322417
Just eye balling it. By parts you set u = e^2x + 4 so du = 2e^2x
dv = dx
v = x

vdu = 2xe^2x
Use u substitution here
>>
Holy shit thanks so much man I can't believe I didn't recognize that arctan property!
>>
Allright:
[math]=0.25(\int\frac{exp(2x)+4}{exp(2x)+4}dx-2\int\frac{0.5exp(2x)}{exp(2x)+4}dx)[/math]
If you're not a complete retard you can solve this.
>>
>>8322433
Wrong e^x =/= x
>>
>>8322456
Yea I realized something was wrong when I started doing it.
>>
>>8322417
1/(e^2+4)
That's an Arc Tan.
1/u^2+v^2

Should get you (1/4)Arctan(e/2) I think. It's been a while since I did inverse trig int
>>
>>8322452
How did you come up with this?
>>
partial fraction decomposition
>>
>>8322417
https://www.symbolab.com/solver/equation-calculator/%5Cint%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Be%5E%7B2x%7D%2B4%7Ddx

Don't use this as a crutch
>>
>>8322463
No, you.

>>8322456
>>
>>8322474
FUCK

u sub then Arctan?
>>
Well guys I may just end up killing myself
>>
>>8322417
Use use a u substitution and use partial fractions, x = (1/2)*ln(u) will get you the right answer.
If you want to solve this with trial and error, you can recall that differentiating ln(e^2x + 4) will get you ((e^2x)*2)/(e^2x + 4). In order to cancel the numerator and denominator, we can add 0, which gets us ((e^2x)*2 + 4*2)/(e^2x + 4) - 4*2/(e^2x + 4), which is equal to 2 - 8/(e^2x + 4). Now, scaling ln(e^2x + 4) down by (-1/8) will change our derivative to 1/(e^2x + 4) - 1/4, so, to get rid of the -1/4, we need to add the antiderivative of 1/4 to (-1/8)*ln(e^2x + 4), which is x/4. So the answer is x/4 - (1/8)*ln(e^2x + 4) + C.
>>
>>8322464
It's intuition combined with practice I think. Been so long since I've studied this shit. It's just one of those well known methods where you split up the integral in two easier ones.

Basically you try to match the numerator to the denomerator. Because I see 4 in the denomerator, I multiply the numerator by 4, but then you also have to divide the integral by 4 to keep the same result:
[math]=0.25\int\frac{4}{exp(2x)+4}dx[/math]
Then I see the exp(2x) in the denomerator, so I add exp(2x) to the numerator. Then I also have to substract it for obvious reasons, the result you can split up:
[math]=0.25(\int\frac{exp(2x)+4}{exp(2x)+4}dx-\int\frac{exp(2x)}{exp(2x)+4}dx)[/math]
Last step is fairly obvious and you get>>8322452

Which is two easy to solve integrals.
>>
>>8322456
Nigger are you retarded? Use u-substitution. Or go back to your Calc I class you fucking peasant.
>>
>>8322500
It's you who is the retard. Try the substitution and you'll see your wrong. I already posted an easy solution see>>8322489

Fuck Calc I, i never took a shitty calc class. Real analysis is much better.

Go back to Calc I dumbo haha
>>
>>8322433
no it isn't, when you do the u substitution to get rid of e^x, you end up with 1/[(u)*(u^2 + 1)]. Partial fraction decomposition turns this into 1/u - u/(u^2 + 1). Integrating these simpler terms, you get ln(u) - (1/2)*ln(u^2 + 1) + C. Factoring back in the 1/4 you took out and putting u = (1/2)*e^x back in, we get x/4 - (1/4)*ln(2) - (1/8)*ln(((1/2)*e^x)^2 + 1) + C, which, taking the logarithm identities and C into account, is just x/4 - (1/8)*ln(e^2x + 4) + C.
C.
>>
>>8322489
Thanks so much man I really feel like shit that I wasn't able to do this on my own.
>>
>>8322551
Analysis problems like that are nothing but pure practice. There isn't a general method, just gotta be used enough to them that you "see" the trick.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.