[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you be the "the best" in your field given an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: >you'll never be.jpg (241KB, 520x650px) Image search: [Google]
>you'll never be.jpg
241KB, 520x650px
Could you be the "the best" in your field given an arbitrarily large amount of time?
>>
File: cantfindanygood.png (143KB, 321x338px) Image search: [Google]
cantfindanygood.png
143KB, 321x338px
im the bes ´t in the field of shitposting by usinh an arbitrarily small amoutnt of time
>>
File: 1444626629315.jpg (236KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1444626629315.jpg
236KB, 1066x1600px
Given 1000 years, I would know more than any other person on the planet, but my IQ would stay the same, and thus I'd have hard time coming up with my own contributions to the field. So no.
>>
10,000 hours.

>These books place a new emphasis on behavior and designing in deliberate practice to get to extraordinary performance. Ericsson (1990)1 says that it takes 10,000 hours (20 hours for 50 weeks a year for ten years = 10,000) of deliberate practice to become an expert in almost anything.

Keep in mind those hours only count when you're in fact being productive or operating with maximum efficiency. Sitting in you chair rocking back and forth while you struggle with a concept or procrastinate doesn't count.
>>
File: jon_blow.jpg (49KB, 615x347px) Image search: [Google]
jon_blow.jpg
49KB, 615x347px
>>8322114

But is it possible to surpass an overwhelmingly higher IQ by just having more time?
>>
>>8322127
IQ is a /sci/ meme. Nobody gives a shit about it.
>>
>>8322068
If I also got rid of the trigeminal neuralgia, probably, at least for a small window of time. I don't even feel arrogant saying that. Being able and willing to function this way is dualistic at best.
>>
>>8322068
No.
The only people who think that are shut in non academic fags who never studied or worked with someone clearly more brilliant than them.
>but maybe they won't put in hard work and I will!
Every field has brilliant people who also work hard. You won't beat them without having both.

>but le very long time
You don't get more intellectually agile as you get older.

>>8322114
>le expertise
We're not talking about your monkey see monkey do favourite hobby or job here. We're talking academic advancement, which requires thinking things nobody ever did before. If you don't have it in you no amount of practice will gift it.
>>
File: Vladimir-Kramnik.jpg (29KB, 520x347px) Image search: [Google]
Vladimir-Kramnik.jpg
29KB, 520x347px
Guys,
[math](10000/(365\times 2))=13,69...[/math]
I averaged somewhere near [math]6[/math] and [math]10[/math] hours this past month.
Do I have any chance if I get around [math]14[/math]?
The problems is that it gets difficult over [math]6[/math] hours straight.
I'm over set set theory now.
>>
i wish i could live 1000 years
i could learn ALL the math
and i could watch the math unfold
>IUTT becomes today's calculus
>HQFT is taught in high school
>higher category theory aka mathematical physics has so many new definitions there's an entire library on the moon dedicated to it
>nima arkani lives in a wheelchair and has to use a text-to-speech
>>
>>8322068
I mean the point of getting a Ph.D is to become the world expert in whatever insanely specific thing you work. So if you mean field as in a specific molecule or system then like 5 years if you mean like chemistry or math then it's impossible because the subjects span too many different things to become the best in every facet unless you lived to be a thousand. Even then new things are being discovered every day that would need to be mastered as well.
>>
>>8323067
>Even then new things are being discovered every day that would need to be mastered as well.
Well, that's a pretty easy fix. Just kill all the other people in your field so new shit isn't being discovered.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.