[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I succeed in analysis? I did both volumes of apostol,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1472700761203.png (335KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1472700761203.png
335KB, 633x758px
How do I succeed in analysis?

I did both volumes of apostol, and hoffman and kunze. Every problem. Rudin is just too abstruse. He just vomits up theorems and expects you to know all the techniques. It's the epitome of a pretentious text written to make the author look smarter. This book is dreadful as a pedagogical tool.
>>
also, what is with the meme of people recommending graduate level books you never read to learn undergrad level things from

Do you honestly think it makes you look smarter?
>>
you seem somewhat inflamed
>>
>>8318473
God forbid people recommend real rigorous books instead of toy books
>>
>>8318485
yes, because people told me to read a meme book that's like the emperor's new clothes, instead of one that actually teaches the material
>>
>>8318461
Get a real book.
Spivak and Apostol are baby books.
Read a bit of Rudin or Pugh, google the theorems, struggle and get better.
>>
>>8318488
well, rigor implies conscientiousness and thoroughness rather than pretentious artificial difficulty

Rudin hand-waves his proofs and doesn't really show techniques for proofs, he just regurgitates them, skips steps, and expects you to synthesize everything on your own. The book is just bad. I realize now that it's for nerds like you to seem smart on internet forums by name-dropping it.

If anyone has an analysis book that has good proofs, good exercises, and, most importantly, SHOWS YOU THE TECHNIQUES AND METHODS FOR DOING PROOFS, then please recommend it to me.
>>
>>8318614
Maybe you're not cut out for math?
>>
>>8318629
How would I even discern that, if there is no text that shows me how to do proofs and what techniques to use?

Lectures show these things, these opaque books don't.
>>
>>8318614
Since you're doing analysis, take a look at Andrew M. Gleason's "Fundamentals of Abstract Analysis". It's a good rigurous introduction to more rigurous analysis from a set theoretic point of view, without bogging you down in formalism. I haven't noticed it requiring too many prerequisites that even a school kid could read it if he took it slow enough. I didn't actually learn analysis from it, but when I did read it, it was a breeze and it might teach you some mathematical rigor needing to read more advanced texts.
>>
>>8318680
thanks
>>
Terrence Tao
>>
>>8320158
>Terrence
>>
>>8318461
Quit math. If Rudin isn't easy for you, you don't have the innate ability. You shouldn't have any difficulty with anything in undergraduate mathematics, ever.
>>
>>8320245
What, his analysis book is pretty good
>>
>>8318488
This.

If you think the textbooks recommended on /sci/ are a troll/pretentious then honestly you should just quit. The texts are recommended with the assumption that you are a good student who doesn't want to waste his time on money mill books with 1000s of worthless calculation practice problems doing.

Grad-level texts are recommended because they are GOOD, and good students will learn from them faster even if they struggle a bit more it's still faster than wasting time on long, droned out money mill kid books. Almost any text that is on a general and not a cutting edge topic is accessible to undergrads if you paid your dues to calculus, LA and freshman level sciences in high-school like you should've.

The understanding is that you can read a preface and supplement what you need without someone holding your hand.

Not talking about Rudin necessarily, that is a piece of shit text.
>>
>>8321050
>Not talking about Rudin necessarily, that is a piece of shit text.
What's better than Rudin in your opinion? Are you undergrad?
>>
>>8321367
Rudin is not bad, it's just not as good as everyone wants to believe it is, it's probably the most overrated book in human history after the holy books.

PhD candidate.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.