[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /sci/ I have a questions about magnets, how do they behave

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: magnets.png (27KB, 1175x585px) Image search: [Google]
magnets.png
27KB, 1175x585px
Hello /sci/
I have a questions about magnets, how do they behave if you have situation like in the picture.

How much force be on the magnet or object, and how far into the coil would it move?
>>
I did not think about the direction the current would go, but im thinking that it will go in the direction so that it attracts the magnet
>>
>physics
>>>/x/
>>
>>8318206
Cant understand real science where you have to think oppose to memorise failed doctor?
>>
File: itkindoflookslikeavag.png (48KB, 1175x812px) Image search: [Google]
itkindoflookslikeavag.png
48KB, 1175x812px
>>8318199
Your magnetic field would look like this. It doesn't look like it would behave any differently than if it was just regular metal. It gets attracted then oscillates in the center and stops.
>>
>>8318316
I mean, if there wasn't a string. If there is, then your magnet ain't going nowhere.
>>
>>8318229
>making a bunch of random guesses and claiming experiments mean nothing is science
>>>/x/
>>
A Magnetic Field will be generated by the Current running through the coil, also called an Electromagnet. This Magnetic Field will interact with the Field around the Magnet. Depending on the direction of the current the Magnet will be either attracted or repelled. Use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the field. I think Gauss' Law describes the mathematics of these forces but I could be wrong.
>>
>>8318316
>It gets attracted then oscillates in the center and stops.
Is there a way to estimate the force that an electromagnet would pull the object with?
Im aware that amount of coils per length and the current will increase the strength of the field.
Also, are you saying that there is a magnet is in no way different than plain iron?
>>
Google Bendix starter
>>
>>8318453
The magnet is definitely different than plain iron. In order to estimate forces involved you need to know the number of turns on the coil, the current magnitude and direction, and the strength of the permanent magnet.
>>
>>8318518
do you know what ball park the force would be in? i was wondering if this could be a good way to make a pulling device(muscle) for things like robotics.
>>
>>8318529
Kinda already a thing, Google linear solenoids. I'm pretty sure they are already used in Robotics. They are an alternative to mechanical linear actuators, the main difference being the max output force.

Like I said earlier, the desired output can be engineered to be whatever you want. The company I work for uses them as pallet stops. So for example, our mechanical guys said they needed something that shot up 5" in half a second and they needed this to happen ~50x an hour (Duty Cycle). These parameters all affect my choice when picking an appropriate solenoid.
>>
>>8318575
Sweet, thanks.

What is the reason these cannot be used for smaller scale muscles like for more anatomy like applications?
>>
>>8318582
Physical size of the mechanism I think. The wires and plungers are pretty big. I don't think our tech is at the point where we can build these thing at the micro/nano scale in a cost effective convenient way. Idk if it's technically possible or not, I'm sure someone is researching it somewhere, but I know it's not industrially or commercially available in the way you're talking about.
>>
>>8318199
This far
>>
>>8318608
Gotcha, its a shame that the we have not gotten further than we have with artificial muscle. Do you know what the most promising branches are?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.