[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When can you call yourself a scientest? After bachelor's?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1464845783522.jpg (699KB, 781x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1464845783522.jpg
699KB, 781x1024px
When can you call yourself a scientest?

After bachelor's?
When you're published?
When other people refer to you as one?
>>
>>8317455
>4chan
>Publishing anything of value

Choose one
>>
>>8317455
I would say once you have at least a bachelor's and working in a lab, or published, whichever comes first

t. undergrad shitter
>>
When published.
>>
>>8317455
I'd say after bachelor's plus if you start working in the field.
>>
when you're paid to do science
>>
>>8317459
>>8317549
Or is that a researcher?
>>
>>8317756
Are you really a scientist if you're not researching anything?
>>
>>8317455
after your PhD defense?

It's at least after bachelor, and you have to publish at least a couple of papers
>>
>>8317925
yeah, theres plenty of instances where its one guy doing the abstract part while another does the actual experiment. even science still has division of labor.
>>
If you're doing scientific work and you're publishing your work, you're a scientist. If you aren't, you're not.
Pretty simple concept.
>>
>>8317455

When you've figured out some phenomenon in nature or possible phenomenon through the use of hypothesis and experimentation.

Everything else is social ape faggotry.

But in most contexts, that would probably be a PhD defense although you might do hobby work that would count as "scientific".

A 10 year old working with a chemistry set is probably more of a "scientist" than many medical majors who seem to persist on having (the appearance of) encyclopedic memories of authoritative symptom-to-diagnoses.

The ideal is someone who listens to reality and adjusts their models to what the results tell about reality. But it's a bitch because most scientists are horrible statisticians who apply terrible methodologies to their studies.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.