[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since we live in a deterministic universe, how come people still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (41KB, 960x634px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 960x634px
Since we live in a deterministic universe, how come people still believe in free will?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism
>>
>>8311209
The question annoys me because it comes down to the way you define either question. Its sort of a rorshach test where your answer says a lot more about you than the question.
>>
>>8311209
Because not everyone has the whole universe figures out like you apperently do anon.
>>
>>8311209
because those things arent mutually exclusive from the perspective of an individual
>>
>>8311209
That is just your personal philosophy
>>
>>8311209
Deterministic or not, there no wally to predetermined anything, so why even worry about it? You're going to do what you're going to do regardless. But if you're predetermined to feel you have no choice in anything, well have fun feeling down about that.

It's my fate not to give a fuck.
>>
>>8311262
>no wally
God damn you phone. God DAMN you.
>>
>>8311209
>since we live in a deterministic universe

Have you ever even once watched a weather report?
>>
>>8311209
>deterministic universe
you wot, mate?
>>
>>8311265
A derteministic universe and chaos theory arent mutually exclusive either
>>
instead of challenging we should challenge the notion of causality. this is what hume was talking about. you don't view the necessary connexions. causality doesn't exist, thus preserving our free will.
>>
>>8311209
/thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyR1eeHGfRc
>>
>>8311209
I have no choice but to believe in free will.
>>
>>8311273
if something as simple as atmospheric weather can give you undeterministic behavior from otherwise deterministic interactions, what makes you think the human body is going to be any better with all of its millions of different kinds of chemical reactions? what makes you think the human brain, with its billions of neurons, is going to produce deterministic wave patterns and why would you even think the stimuli themselves are going to be predictable?

and thats without pointing out that fundamentally, the universe is not at all deterministic. it is stochastic, and deterministic behavior is an emergent behavior that only exists on limited scales.

of course, OP knows that and was just hoping to bait people.
>>
>>8311209
What is compatibilism.
How do I google.
How do I use plato.stanford.edu to find basic information on a philosophical issue.
What is compatibilism.
How do I google.
How do I use plato.stanford.edu to find basic information on a philosophical issue.
What is compatibilism.
How do I google.
What is compatibilism.
How do I google.
>>
>>8311294
>What is compatibilism.
a stupid hand-wavy excuse to ignore the question without to deal with any real proof either way
>>
>>8311290
>if something as simple as atmospheric weather can give you undeterministic behavior
You're misusing words, unpredictable (because we don't know all the initial conditions) ≠ undeterministic.
>>
>>8311290
again:
A derteministic universe and chaos theory arent mutually exclusive either

this time read and understand
>>
>>8311290

It's only chaotic because there are too many variables for us to compute.

Take any simple system, like balls bouncing around a small chamber in 0 g, and just imagine it's much bigger and more complicated. That's our universe.

Everything is deterministic. The fact that we don't understand something does not mean it cannot be understood.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.