[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel like I'm taking good notes in my physics class, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: math.jpg (67KB, 1050x549px) Image search: [Google]
math.jpg
67KB, 1050x549px
I feel like I'm taking good notes in my physics class, but then when I start working on the homework, my notes feel very inadequate. How do I take better notes for this class? I feel completely and utterly lost, and going to office hours only helps until I start on the homework.
>>
>>8307647
Read

the

fucking

textbook
>>
The first three semesters of calc-based physics can be done just knowing the formulas. There's a small amount of intuition necessary regarding how you're supposed to recognize how the word problems tie into the formulas, but it's almost entirely plug-n-chug.

Those formulas are EVERYTHING. Learn them and understand what they mean and you'll realize physics is the easiest STEM
>>
>>8307670
i do read the textbook, but i have the same problem
i feel like i'm not understanding it, i can follow the math, but i don't get where it's starting from
>>
>>8307676
if it's not essential to what you plan to do for work, just cheat
>>
>>8307696
aerospace engineering, so this is probably something i should know well for that

also i don't want to cheat

two weeks (and two assignments) into the semester, i'm only about 5 points below the class average, so i've got plenty of time to make that up, at least
>>
>>8307676
>i feel like i'm not understanding it
That's because you're reading too fast. You need to slow down about 200%. If you don't understand something, sit there and ponder it or do scratch work until you understand it. If you just skim right over the parts you don't fully understand, you'll get confused later. Also, take notes from the text like you would take notes during lecture. This all takes a shitload of time, but it's worth it. Trust me; I've been there.

Now, since you said you're "completely and utterly lost," I suggest that you do not try to play catch-up. Figure out the material that was already covered just enough that you can at least somewhat understand what is currently being covered. Start studying up on what will be covered in the next lecture. This way you can follow and get the most out of the lectures, instead of sitting there being useless for an hour because you haven't "caught up." You can go back and learn the earlier stuff more thoroughly near the end of the semester.
>>
>>8307708
he's got office hours tomorrow, so i was just going to go live in his office for the duration
is it possible to overdo this
>>
>>8307647
register teacher speaking
>>
>>8307696
>just cheat

FUCK off, that's not fair
>>
>>8307647
Okay friend, let me explain how to do this. First off, ignore the whole LEARN FORMULAS ONLY gig, it'll bite you in the ass later. Follow these steps:

1. Before your lecture, maybe the day before, skim throw the chapter/section you are going to cover. When I say skim, I mean actually read but don't worry about everything at first. The whole point is to be able to go to your lecture and connect the dots when your professor begins to elaborate on things.

2. Keep doing your notes but don't be afraid to ask questions in class and don't just blindly copy the board, you have to be taking in the info as well.

3. After class, while everything is still fresh in your head, review your notes. Ask yourself if you understand everything. Chances are you won't but that's where the next step comes in.

4. With your notes by your side, fully ready the chapter/section in your textbook. Go slow and do any and all examples presented in the text. At this point, I suggest preparing another set of notes that combines your lecture notes and information taken from the text. Consider these your "master" notes and anything else "drafts". It might seem redundant to some but going over material many times is how one masters a subject.

5. Ask yourself again, do I understand everything? If the answer is no, you have the choice of either referring to online material such as MIT/Yale/other university lecture notes and videos or just going to your professor for clarification. If your professor is unavailable or didn't satisfy your questions, go ask another professor, they are more than happy to assist someone who truly wants to learn.

6. Do many problems from the textbook (or elsewhere if you find it). This step is where you cement your understanding and apply it to problems. I suggest having a solutions manual ready to go over your answers, you'll be surprised with how some manuals approach a problem or that sometimes you are wrong even though your logic checked out. (Cont.)
>>
>>8309042

6 (cont.) Remember, a solution manual is there to ASSIST you when you can't solve a problem even after you have exhausted all possibilities and spent some reasonable time on it.

7. Do more problems. No, really, doing problems is how you actually learn. Any questions that were difficult should be noted in your master notes. Include how to solve these hard problems so that you'll never mess them up again. Chances are you'll need to refer to these harder problems to solve others that have a similar mechanism in them.

8. When it comes time for an exam, review your master notes and attempt some old problems as a refresher. You should find that by now that many problems become easy with the previous practice. Use this time to refresh yourself on old topics and isolate anything that you STILL don't know. Work on those isolations.

9. Any exam you take should be kept for future reference. Scan them into your master notes or something with solutions if possible.

10. Every few weeks, review your old material so that you don't forget it. It's amazing how people go through a class and forget simple things because they just mov eon without care.

11. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>8307647
try to understand reality, not the equation.
>>
>>8309042
>>8309067

THIS. 100% .
>>
>>8307707
This seems pleb tier, but make yourself an outline with the target equation as the top tier. Then a flowchart for applying that equation to situations in the course. Those situations come from classroom examples and the questions at the back of the chapter.
>>
>>8307647
keep banging till you understand it.
>>
>>8309067
>>8309042
This 100%

Though i would add that if need be you should be outlining the entire chapter before you even step foot into class. And you should fully rewrite every bit of in class notes you take while following along in your textbook.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.