[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/, brainlet here. I just don't understand why nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 3d3.jpg (8KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
3d3.jpg
8KB, 224x225px
/sci/, brainlet here.

I just don't understand why nothing can go faster than the speed of light.

For example: If you were on a rocket in space which was accelerating continuously of 1g, and the faster you go the more energy is required to keep the acceleration at that rate, right?

But what if you accelerated at 1g for a bit, turned off the engines of whichever types you have, then switched them back on to accelerate again. Would you 'reset' the output required to start the acceleration all over again and simply adding on to the previous speed you had?

Also in the above retarded question, if it doesn't work then fucking why not?
>>
>>8305673
Study the theory of relatively, it's pretty basic stuff.
>>
>>8305676
relativity*

Sorry, I'm tired.
>>
>>8305673
"Things" CAN go faster than the speed of light... Do some research.
>>
>>8305683
Proofs
>>
>>8305673
it's not that "light" is somehow special and nothing can go faster than it
it's simply that the universe has a finite maximum rate of information transfer.
it just so happens that light reaches that speed limit.

I'm not a physicist so don't kill me if it's not 100% right, but I know that as long as you don't transfer information, "things" can go faster than light and even backwards in time.

examples:
faster than light:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_nonlocality
basically probabilities can be transefered in a faster than light speed, and as we now it today it's speed is infinte i.e the transfer is instantaneous.

backwards in time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ORLN_KwAgs
>>
> If you were on a rocket in space which was accelerating continuously of 1g, and the faster you go the more energy is required to keep the acceleration at that rate, right?

Nope. Continuously traveling at 1g would require a fixed amount of energy per second. Over time that energy would accumulate in the form of speed relative to your starting point. Eventually your speed would build up until, (even if you turned off your engines and coasted) the universe would start looking very strange to you.
>>
the speed of light is the speed of a massless particle or wave in a wave in a vacuum, it is literally the speed of causality
>>
File: 1464382284787.jpg (76KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
1464382284787.jpg
76KB, 736x552px
>>8305673
>If you were on a rocket in space which was accelerating continuously of 1g,
Time dilation.
Let's say I have a rocket ship that accelerates by shooting out one ping-pong ball a second.
To me (on board) the balls will always shoot out at one per second.
To an outside observer, time on the ship is slowing down.
The balls are coming at longer intervals.
The closer I get to the speed of light, the fewer balls per minute.
That's one g to me on board, but a constantly declining acceleration to an outside observer.
>>
>>8305673
Electron Functions (Strong Force static energy delivery) between protons and electrons occur at the speed of light; accelerating to it would probably cause the protons to lose their electron functions and matter would come apart until deceleration, but they might not return to their original form.
>>
>>8305782
Balls lol
>>
>>8305673
>I just don't understand why nothing can go faster than the speed of light.
Your question is wrong. There is noting that prevents anything from traveling faster than the speed of light. Look up tachyons.

There is however no way to *accelerate* an object with non-zero rest mass to beyond the speed of light. This is a huge difference.
>>
Because photons (light) have no mass.

What can go faster than something with no mass, huh?

It just happens that light is special to us, because we evolved to detect it. Apparently, detecting the fastest means in the universe to transfer information (photons) is an evolutionary advantage.
>>
>>8306509
I read that tachyons are hypothetical particles. Unless you can reference some work that proves their existence you can't assume that they exist
>>
>>8306522
This guy knows what's up
>>
if youre standing still and measure the speed at which light travels, you will find that it travels at the speed c, relative to your own speed.

if you accelerate to 0.99c and do the same measurement, you will find yet again that light is traveling at c relative to your own speed.

the thing to understand is that in both situations you are effectively stationary. in your own frame of reference (in both cases) you remain still and it is the things around you which have a speed.

you will notice that in both cases, you measure the speed of light to be the same value c, and every other object will have a speed in the range between 0 and c.

ie the speed of light is impossible to reach because no matter how fast you are moving, you will always measure the speed of light to be travelling at a faster speed (c).
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.