[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /sci I have a question. If the radiation is stronger at it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
hey /sci I have a question.
If the radiation is stronger at it's source and gets weaker within a few feet, how does wifi still end up delivering all the information it needs to?
I mean, if I have a router and I sleep beside it for 9000 hours straight I will probably feel a mild burn.
But if i move a few feet away I won't, yet I still recieve all the information I need from my wifi.
How do you explain this?
>>
1. Radio waves are not going to burn you.
2. The signal doesn't become invisible a few feet away. Your devices can still detect the signal as far away as the other side of your property.
>>
>>8305153
>receivers don't have amplifiers
>>
>>8305223
cool thanks anon
>>
>>8305153
>I will probably feel a mild burn
Why would you think that? It seems you have absolutely no idea how radiation interacts with matter or biology.
>>
>>8305228
biology is science? lolololol
>>
Communications Engineer here. Wi-fi (i.e - microwaves) is a non-ionizing form of radiation, which basically means it won't penetrate the skin (specifically - won't ionize the atoms in your body). Without delving too deep into RF propogation and theory, RF signals get weaker with distance because of attenuation caused by traveling through air. So as these radio waves travel, the air it travels through (as well as walls, objects, etc.) weakens the signal. The amount of power behind a radio wave also dictates how far it'll travel, which is why a 40 watt microwave oven will cook your food, but a 1mW wireless transmitter will harmlessly bounce off of you.

With that said, your wireless router will have a recieve threshold as to how well it can interpret these signals before it becomes unintelligible, as in it can't differentiate the rise and fall of a wave (think of a heartrate monitor flatlining).

So lets say your laptop is talking to your router. If you stand in front of it, the signal is strong. As you walk away from it, into a different room, etc. The "Wi-fi" signal gets weaker and weaker as it gets attenuated by the open air (aka - free space attenuation), as well as the walls of the house, etc. Eventually, you'll get so far that your router can't differentiate that a rise in a wave is a binary 1 and a fall is a 0.

Thats the simple way of explaining it without going into Network Theory (how data can get corrupted, lost,)
>>
>>8305153
That's one tiny fucking laptop. How do you even type on that?
>>
>>8305372
>which basically means it won't penetrate the skin
The penetration depth of microwaves into a given (eg watery) material depends on their frequency. Higher = lower probability of a given photon reaching a deeper point. Lower is the inverse.

It's been well documented that microwaves (whether GSM-900 or wifi) pass well beyond the skull, meninges, and into the brain. The majority is absorbed by pyramidal cells given their spatial location and relative size, but that's not an absolute.

Please don't misinform people.
>>
>>8305388

You're right, but I'm not trying to get into technicalities. Thats why I meant "basically". I'm giving a layman's explaination of what non-ionizing radiation is to someone who doesn't have a background in RF. Go to any workplace that deals with radiation of any kind. Thats how they break down ionizing radiation and non-ionizing radiation in a nut shell to someone like the janitor or an office secretary.

Power, distance, a material's density, electromagnetic inteference, the transmitter's antenna type, weather, modulation type.... so many factors contribute to how well a particular frequency transmits, how far it transmits, and how well it penetrates.

Don't miscontrue my omission of information as intent for misinformation.
OP only asked how their router works at varying distance and why they can sleep so close with negligable adverse affects.
>>
>>8305476
>Don't miscontrue my omission of information as intent for misinformation.
Anon, you must understand that I have little choice. That was the functional effect of your explanation.

Reminds me of master and slave morality.
>>
>>8305372
Thanks for the post, not op here. For informative posts like that I browse sci.
>>
>>8305372
Please go into Network Theory. I'm legitimately curious.
>>
>>8305153
The thing to keep in mind with radiation is that there are thresholds.

The effects for low energy radiation are not cumulative. Either it has enough energy to interact with the material or it doesn't. WiFi doesn't.
You've been constantly bombarded by radio waves from towers for am/fm radio and tv, but there's no effect on you. WiFi is higher energy but still not high enough to damage your cells.
>>
>>8305153
>if I have a router and I sleep beside it for 9000 hours straight I will probably feel a mild burn
if you throw ping pong balls at the chinese wall for 9000 hours, it wont suddenly collapse

one second in the sun blast you with more radiation than a year worth of wifi
>>
>>8305153
>if I have a router and I sleep beside it for 9000 hours straight I will probably feel a mild burn.

No. Solar radiation(aka sunlight) is over a million times more intense. Do you get third body burn wounds from 30 seconds in the sun? No. THen why would a milliwatt intensity emitter burn you?
>>
>>8305911
Well I think you could break a hole in the wall after 10^10^10^10^10 hours of throwing ping pong balls at it
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.