[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there ever been a scientific study into why people have the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Has there ever been a scientific study into why people have the ability to drive cars, despite it being unnatural and nothing like anything we have evolved to do?

I mean just think about what you're doing the next time you merge onto the highway between 2 cars.

You're calculating your own speed, you're calculating the speed of two other cars, you're calculating the size of your own car, you're calculating the size of the space in between the two cars, you're moving your foot to press the pedals and moving your hands on the wheel in such a way that you will intercept the gap in between the two cars.

I mean the first issue with this is that humans never evolved to travel at 70mph. How can they handle making decisions at that speed?

The second thing is, while it can be argued that spacial awareness is something we learned as primates jumping from tree to tree, where we had to work out distance from branch to branch. This is completely different, you're calculating and making decisions based on the size and abilities of your car, not your own body. And then you're somehow able to instinctively know how to operate the controls of said car to complete your goal.

So how is it that humans are able to do advanced trigonometry in their heads in a millisecond without thinking?
>>
>>8303090
Projectile tool use?
>>
>>8303090
You've obviously never driven a car
>>
>>8303090
>despite it being unnatural and nothing like anything we have evolved to do?
We have though, it's simply movement, something we're good at.

Maybe 100MPH is our limit, it's not actually that fast. Perhaps if we somehow magically evolved with cars we'd be able to drive easily at 1000mph
>>
>>8303134
We can fly at many times greater than 1000mph
>>
>>8303090
What if cars were like made by people man?
>>
We lucked out. Humans won the cosmic lottery. Our brains ability for rational thought and reason plus the upright walking primate body with hands and thumbs allows us to do all these things.
Our only real natural-selected ability was probably outsmarting predatory animals on the plains of Africa.
In short, everything we are capable of is just a fortunate happenstance.
>>
>>8303090
Not everything is "hardwired" into the brain from birth.

The brain has a capacity to learn directed by our natural urges.

For instance a tiger that lives in a forest has a natural desire to catch prey and responds to certain visual cues, but it lacks the ability to dodge trees.

Likewise a tiger that lives on the plains has the same desires and must learn how to hide in the grass and sneak as close as possible to its prey.

Swap the tigers around and they would crash into trees and spook prey away too early.

In humans this ability to learn has been inflated, we have an enormous neo-cortex and enhanced astrocytes to support increased neural activity.
>>
>>8303090
Neuroplasticity, I remember the first time I drove at 75Mph, I was rather jerky at the wheel and very apprehensive, felt much more comfortable when I pulled off onto a side street with a 35 Mph limit. The next day pulling onto the highway it was much much easier, because my brain took the experiences of the prior day and grew new neuropathways to handle the situation. Now I can be listening to an audio book at 2.5x speed, texting, getting a hand job and driving drunk and just be on autopilot with no problems at all at 120 Mph. ^_^
>>
>>8303090

>evolved to

Thank you for providing a clear example of why this "we evolved to" popsci bullshit needs to stop. That's not how evolution works. Evolution doesn't give you things based on what your species needed to do in the past, and the collection of things you can think about or do isn't limited to what you "evolved to do."

Back to basics: some creatures live long enough to reproduce, others don't. The ones that do pass on their genetics. And so qualities they have persist into the future through another generation. If the average temperature of the region these creatures live in drops to -5°C and half of these creatures around at the time can't live long enough to reproduce unless the temperature is -4°C or warmer, then subsequent generations will mostly be able to survive and reproduce in those colder conditions simply because the ones who couldn't are no longer contributing any offspring to the population of these subsequent generations.

Now "spacial awareness is something we learned as primates jumping from tree to tree" on the other hand is retarded Lamarckian flapdoodle. That's not how evolution works. You don't get knowledge from ancestors having done things in the past. If certain creatures in the past happen to have certain instinctual behaviors and these certain creatures survive long enough to reproduce while other creatures of the same species happen to not have those instinctual behaviors fail to survive long enough to reproduce, then you as a descendant of these creatures can end up having those instinctual behaviors.

As you should suspect but apparently didn't based on the existence of this thread, these instinctual behaviors are a lot more likely to be general behaviors that happen to have usefulness for more specific tasks rather than specific behaviors that are exactly detailed fulfillments of participation in these tasks. General instincts emerge and survive; they aren't designed.
>>
speed is relative

If you're merging around 65-70 into 70-75 traffic the other cars are basically only moving at a brisk pace. You ignore all the static things that aren't moving wth you

The calculations don't happen immediately, you look and check for a gap, you get closer, you decide if you have to go faster, you decide to move in

Steering and gas pedal are simple muscle memories. Left is left and right is right, more tension on your foot to speed up. For a 1.5x difficulty modifier throw in a clutch and an H pattern

Running to catch a ball or animal is a more astounding feat, you're literally physically falling forward rapidly while using one leg at a time to catch yourself, then launch forward into another fall, while looking upward and behind you and positioning your arms while modulating speed to intercept its flight, then reacting quickly to trap it with your grasping limbs all while maintaining spatial awareness of the ground and any obstacles that your previously observed and would need to avoid without necessarily actually continuing to look for them
>>
History is a meme and evolution is a lie

We're all just really advanced AIs living in a simulation where our intelligence was custom tailored for a certain group of technologies our alien overlords wanted to test
>>
>>8303627
>speed is relative
>>>/x/
>>
>>8303090
We absolutely suck at driving cars. 32,000 people die per year in motor vehicle accidents in the U.S.- it used to be even higher due to shitty safety standards and technology. That's 10 9/11's worth of deaths.

The reason why driverless cars are a thing is because driving is so easy that computers can be programmed to do it. Because we suck so much at driving, it's possible to create a computer system to drive much better than we can.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.