[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can i change my perspective to see each individual as unique

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

How can i change my perspective to see each individual as unique and valuable?
I feel that i only value intelligence and i can't see someone being worth it or capable of producing something unique if he isn't highly intelligent.
Also i feel sad thinking that intelligence is needed to really appreciate beauty and have individuality.
People just seem bland i can't find pleasure in life anymore.
Please, help me change;

“If you can think of times in your life that you’ve treated people with extraordinary decency and love, and pure uninterested concern, just because they were valuable as human beings. The ability to do that with ourselves. To treat ourselves the way we would treat a really good, precious friend. Or a tiny child of ours that we absolutely loved more than life itself. And I think it’s probably possible to achieve that. I think part of the job we’re here for is to learn how to do it”

― David Foster Wallace

DFW makes me want to change so much. I don't want to be miserable.
>>
I feel like this is one of those things that comes 'naturally' with age to most people.
>>
LSD, I am completely serious and this is the best answer I can give.
>>
All men have intelligence, even the most functionally retarded.

We need to distinguish between two senses of the word intelligence.
The first is the possession of an intellect, and an intellect is a faculty by which we abstract universal concepts from our senses, e.g. we abstract the universal idea or concept "chair" from this particular wooden thing which our eyes see or our ass feels. This is what the Greeks called the nous, the Latins called the intellectus. This is the essence of intelligence, this is what it means to be intelligent.
Then there is the quantitative notion of intelligence, where we describe someone as being more or less intelligent than other. This is derived from the fact that some people are capable of abstracting and understanding concepts more quickly than others.

Now, what you have to understand is that the mere fact of having an intellect/intelligence is what gives all human beings their inherent worth. It's this ability to abstract concepts from our senses which makes us capable of having thoughts and expressing them in language. More than that, it's what distinguishes us from the non-intelligent animals. The animals have the senses but they do not have the intellect which is capable of abstracting concepts from the senses, which means that they have no concept of self or concept of existence, which means ultimately that they have no real self-identity or awareness of their own existence.
>>
>>8301804
We human beings, on the other hand, are capable of perceiving our own existence and of existence in general, because we are able to abstract the universal notion of 'being' or 'existence' from our senses which perceive individual beings. Animals only ever perceive the individuals in the senses, never the universals in the ideas. Animals are only aware of what their senses present to them, but we aware that we are aware of what our senses present to us - we are aware of our own awareness, we perceive our own perceiving. They have no notion of 'existence' because 'existence' is a universal idea (in fact, the most universal) that can only be abstracted from individuals represented in the senses, but not perceived directly by the senses.

Now even the most retarded human being has this faculty, it's usually just that their brain is so messed up that they are incapable of expressing any of their ideas or forming any complex ones, but you will see even in mental retards that they are basically aware of their own existence and capable of forming a sense of self. This astounding faculty of intelligence is of such worth, that the mere quantitative difference between a genius and retard does not matter all that much by comparison.
>>
>>8301804
So non-intelligent animals have no value?
>>
>>8301810
No, they have value. Everything in the world has value. Non-intelligent animals are just below us in terms of value. It's just that their is a big gap between us and them. We enjoy a far higher existence because we are aware of and capable of contemplating our own existence, and of understanding it.
>>
>>8301809
That's like saying, "Hi how are you" in 100 words. I didn't read to be honest
>>
>>8301812
Who exactly gives value to things? Why would you affirmate things that you created, as true?
>>
>>8301770
Eh, what do you consider intelligence, anon?
>>
>>8301832
General mental ability (as measured by g factor).
>>
>>8301809
good point

and, reminder that the most intelligent person can still be a retard at times.
>>
>>8301770
>How can i change my perspective to see each individual as unique and valuable?
browse /pol/
>>
>>8301770
You're under no obligation to value the spawn of every idiot that managed to reproduce successfully.

But what I think your actual hangup here is is that you think by making yourself value stupid people you'll feel less bad about your own intellectual limitations.

At any rate just stop denigrating people with your internal monologue (this is easier than it sounds) and you'll find your opinion of others will naturally improve. You can even force yourself to think nice thoughts about them despite knowing them to be false, for greater effect. It's sort of like brainwashing yourself I guess.
>>
>>8303393
>this is easier than it sounds
I meant to say harder than it sounds*
>>
>>8301770
Make friends, hang out with them, live with them, have arguments with them, see them at their worst, be seen by them at your worst, etc.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.