[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How difficult is studying Astronomy in University? I just noticed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: pia18333-1041.jpg (30KB, 1041x1041px) Image search: [Google]
pia18333-1041.jpg
30KB, 1041x1041px
How difficult is studying Astronomy in University?

I just noticed that to study a Bachelor of Science with a major in Physics has an entry requirement that I meet. I've always been really interested in Space, but never thought I'd get good enough grades to get into a course for it at a University.
>>
>>8293666
Are you interested in space, or are you interested in astronomy?
>>
I'm doing a placement at Manchester Uni doing astrophysics. It's shite, it's more computer programming than anything, just droning through coding programs for meaningless astroshit. 0/10 do not recommend, there's better physics out there
>>
>>8293696
I'm interested in space, and how it works. Is that much different from what astronomy is?

>>8293697
Oh. I'm not usually interested in Physics and stuff, I guess it's the space part that draws me into it, but I have studied a bit of computer science and programming.
>>
>>8293704
Yeah, I was expecting Star Trek stuff, it's really not that interesting
>>
>>8293666
>>8293704
>>8293708
>I'm not usually interested in Physics
>Yeah, I was expecting Star Trek stuff, it's really not that interesting

Are you fuckers retarded?
Astronomy is basically physics sprinkled with some chemistry.
If you don't like that shit, don't bother.
>>
I took astronomy as a general science elective a couple of terms ago. Felt like there wasn't much fun stuff left to learn about it after that one class desu. Covered all the interesting, meaty space stuff I can think of.
>>
>>8293722
So where does the part where people study space and the universe come in?

Isn't that why the field is called Astronomy and not just Physics? Because space is involved?
>>
>>8293729
Oh. That kinda sucks.

My other two options are completing a full course of Computer Science or studying Film, as they are the only other things that I'm interested in, but I didn't feel like I could see myself doing software development as a job and the film industry in Australia is practically non-existent.
>>
>>8293730
Astronomy is either running simulations that incorporate physics for systems too complicated to solve by hand, or observing through telescopes to THEN see how the observations match what's predicted by physics (meaning you have to know the physics beforehand to know what you expect to see), or I guess taking the data from observations and doing spectrographic analysis to determine chemical compositions, in which case you presumably know at least some chemistry. Though there are probably many other things astronomers do, but I would say they all involve knowing some physics

You don't get to just look out in space, say you saw some stuff, and call yourself a scientist.
>>
>>8293734
>My other two options are completing a full course of Computer Science or studying Film
top kek
>>
>>8293734
Don't go with your interests. It's horrible folk wisdom bullshit nonsense that you can make a career out of anything if you just follow your dreams. Especially if those dreams are in film- even if you lived in LA, you wouldn't have a sbowball's chance in hell of making it into that industry.

Go with where the jobs and money are: engineering.
>>
>>8293741
But engineering is boring.

At least, it sounds like it is.
>>
>>8293743
Life's a shit sandwich.

t. EE
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.