[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's fucking happening. The hippocampal prosthetic from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: MjgwMDY3NA.jpg (29KB, 459x309px) Image search: [Google]
MjgwMDY3NA.jpg
29KB, 459x309px
It's fucking happening. The hippocampal prosthetic from Dr. Berger's group is becoming a real product now and undergoing clinical trials. This is a game changing technology because it means we can replace entire functions of the nervous system with prosthetics. Pic related.

Source:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-os/biomedical/bionics/new-startup-aims-to-commercialize-a-brain-prosthetic-to-improve-memory

Here's an older video describing the tech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHubR09oKKE
>>
File: ghost-in-the-shell-cyberbrain1.jpg (43KB, 550x354px) Image search: [Google]
ghost-in-the-shell-cyberbrain1.jpg
43KB, 550x354px
This literally opens the door to cybernetic memory manipulation. How long to we full on singulo?
>>
>>8291626
wow that's really impressive.
I was going to post just how he's autistic and funny but that surprisingly seems to work.
>>
Ehh? I thought we had no idea how memory works

What's the trick?
>>
File: hackerman.jpg (57KB, 540x531px) Image search: [Google]
hackerman.jpg
57KB, 540x531px
can it be hacked
>>
>>8292378
We have no idea how or why antidepressants work but we can still engineer new ones with an acceptable margin of therapeutic value. This implant is similar in that respect.
>>
>>8292384
if you access it physically yeah...

but all you'll be able to do is turn it off as there isn't much to the implant.
you can either improve memory storing inmto the brain or turn it down/off by hacking it.

Doesn't seems very worth the effort of opening someone's head
>>
>>8292384
Anon you are gold
>>
>>8292664
what if you can turn it up really high and then get really high? ...... or smarter
>>
>>8291626
Except they don't function well over the long term. Our neural interfaces still suck and still tend to kill neurons.

>>8292378
We don't. we just have some big nasty mathematical function mapping what the outputs should be from a series of inputs.

>>8292384
Yes and no. Yes in that DBS and neural interfaces have been shown to have tremendously shitty security.

No in that what they are trying to make is some ASIC that doesn't do much more than pretend to be hippocampus tissue.
>>
What if we never have a good understanding of how the brain works. The future just got way more cyberpunk.
>>
How come the singularity shitposter isn't here?
>>
I'm surprised how many people are interested in mechanical augmentation but don't drink jasmine tea. What gives
>>
>>8292378
if you're actually interested, watch the video. it's not too hard to understand.
>>
>>8292719
>tend to kill neurons.
I'd like to know more about that.
>>
>>8291626
What powers the device? Surely they can't open up a person's head and do brain surgery whenever they need to replace a battery.
>>
>>8291626

Thats not even how brains work you kike.
>>
>>8293110
Is that a reference to something? I don't get it.
>>
>>8293160
In most parts of the body, and the CNS is no exception, foreign bodies cause a rejection response and result in scarring. Fortunately there has been significant advancement in the production of conductive materials that do not have this response.
>>
>>8293664
I'd really expect gold to work desu.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.