[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think i have lost the taste for life /sci/. Everything, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: BorW2[1].jpg (536KB, 3082x3159px) Image search: [Google]
BorW2[1].jpg
536KB, 3082x3159px
I think i have lost the taste for life /sci/. Everything, and mostly everyone, seems really bland for me. I started to obsess with the concept of general intelligence and how almost every skill and trait i used to value are correlated with it. Like for example creativity, personality and empathy, that recent theories shows that are way more linked to general intelligence than we used to thought.
Now its really hard for me to see people differences as something unique or special, it looks like flaws that are rooted in their incapability of developing certain skills due to their low intelligence. Life doesn't feel beautiful anymore, with multiple layers of complexity and various ways for people to be different and valuable.
As a consequence, my self esteem is no existent and for example the relationship with my gf, which i was really proud of, looks shallow and extremely liked to our intelligence, because everything that is good looks to be linked to general intelligence. Income, happiness, stable marriage, empathy and so on.
Working as a engineer really made things worsts. It's almost like anything matters but the ability to solve the problem at hand that is practically 100% of the time solved by the most intelligent person on our group.
I know this is a very reductionist mindset, but i am not finding myself able to change it and its pretty much destroying my life. I also think this is a more modern problem, that was born with the concept of I.Q. and G Factor and the findings that support these theories, but nevertheless i find myself in such a depressive state that i wan't to ask if /sci/ can give me any advice that can help me see this issue at another perspective.
>>
Let me get this straight, is your intelligence having an existential crisis? Or are you having an intelligence crisis? Or are you having a personality crisis?
>>
>>8289269
It's an existential crisis about intelligence. Not merely his own, but its importance in modern society and how our individual talents are tied to intelligence. He's psychologically distraught over the idea, the concept, that a human being generally amounts to a number and everything spawns from that number.
>>
>>8289298
Pretty much. Help.
>>
>>8289309
There's nothing I can really say to help. What you're suffering from is something I suffered from and continue to suffer from to a small degree. In truth, I try not to allow those thoughts to consistently plague me by keeping busy and "losing" myself in joyful activities. It also helps that I look at things not from a statistical background, but from an individualized perspective. People focus far too much on data, averages and statistics to summarize viewpoints, but it rarely allows you to focus on the details. If Thomas Sowell or David Blackwell listened to every IQ study, we would've never had their contributions to society.

It's detrimental for one to follow the idea that the general idea of who you are comes from a mundane number. You're determined not only by your intellect, but also by your personal experiences and philosophies, your ideas, your contributions to yourself and others, etc.
>>
>>8289298
>that a human being generally amounts to a number and everything spawns from that number.
Okay, well if that's what he/you think, that's entirely wrong.

Just because you can be mapped to a number doesn't mean that that number can be mapped to you. Two people could have the same general intelligence and have entirely exclusive skillsets.
>>
Part I

>>8289247
>>8289309

You're partially depressed I think. I know it's the common answer, but consult with a psychologist, not to get medication, but to get advice on why you're like that and which direction you should take your life. Book a few hours with someone who knows his shit for a causal talk.

> I also think this is a more modern problem, that was born with the concept of I.Q. and G Factor
It might elevate the problem, but I think your case is the common-case of over-analyzing shit due to some issues. I'm just extrapolating on my own experiences.

>a human being generally amounts to a number and everything spawns from that number.
The problem with this is simple: we only know less than 1% of those numbers and where/how they matter. Different experiences also mean different numbers.

Let's talk about this from a very practical/common-sense perspective:
a, For an atom/particle/molecule whatever it doesn't really matter whether it's part of a sun or it's coming out of your anus being part of your feces.
b, In this universe somehow people are born, whether this is an emergent behavior or there is a "law" to shit out humans it doesn't really matter.
Now you see a, has nothing to do with b,. Something makes b, true and at the level of a, those things aren't visible. You're over-analyzing stuff following thinking related to a, aka mostly objective scientific observation, but that doesn't explain b, aka why are we like this? why our reality works like this?. Basically we can't explain why b, happens and why our universe works like that.

That's why asking a question like that has no point and a healthy human shouldn't base his/her existence on something like that. Your instincts, intellect, feelings, emotions should give a framework to work with and it should make asking questions like that pointless. That's why I think you're (somewhat) depressed and most likely you have an unfulfilling life currently.
>>
>>8289446
Part II/II

Try adjusting your lifestyle to do what you actually find good for you by watching your own reactions to stuff. Don't do what you think is good for you in the long term by evaluating your options using strictly logic.
Do what actually makes you feel better. This is why I recommended talking with a psychologist. Too many people try to design their life instead of living it. You might feel shitty because all this accumulated.

>It's almost like anything matters but the ability to solve the problem at hand that is practically 100% of the time solved by the most intelligent person on our group.

It looks like you aren't tasked according to your skillset at your workplace. In the long-term consider switching.
Knowing that you can't calculate the 4th root of something in your head is healthy, but saying that you're generally useless is very unhealthy.

>Like for example creativity, personality and empathy, that recent theories shows that are way more linked to general intelligence than we used to thought.
Oh, yes, but don't believe that as absolute truths. No comprehensive description of humans exist anywhere. Even if you find things which are accurate try to think as a human rater than an analytical machine for your own sake.

Also hit the gym. Physical fitness improves the mind. Plus find a hobby you enjoy, might be something with a social touch. For example if you're an EE you could even find something work related if it doesn't bother you like radio amateur stuff where the enthusiasm of other people will drive you.

Also this >>8289338
More precisely >It's detrimental for one to follow the idea that the general idea of who you are comes from a mundane number.
>>
>>8289446
>>8289478

Not OP here but i really want to thank you. You made myself a little less depressed today.
>>
>>8289247
You are really, really fucked up OP.
>>
>tfw all that makes me happy is romanticism to the point where i forget reality
>literally do nothing but look at romantic paintings, old biology enyclopedias from 19th century and the mechanics of a finely engineered analog watches, mental masturbation with 19th century era scientists and how interesting their observations were

just give up reality famalam
>>
>>8290223
mechanics of finely engineered analog watches*
>>
>>8290223
I really understand what you are saying anon, but my escapism is on medieval stuff.
>>
>>8290410
>>8290223
We should go onto some far away part of the world and establish our own society of like minded individuals.

We would do science/engineering (most of the time) like it's 1850-1950. Although it would be good to put in modern shit too to enhance our steampunk/early electricity level designs.

Put in modern stuff at parts, but keep the majority of stuff at the golden age level with fucking extraordinary mechanical engineering aka target steampunk/era of classical electricity level shit and we are golden.
>>
>>8289247
>it looks like flaws that are rooted in their incapability of developing certain skills due to their low intelligence

people focus on different pursuits.
>>
>>8289478
>Try adjusting your lifestyle to do what you actually find good for you by watching your own reactions to stuff. Don't do what you think is good for you in the long term by evaluating your options using strictly logic.
>Do what actually makes you feel better. This is why I recommended talking with a psychologist. Too many people try to design their life instead of living it. You might feel shitty because all this accumulated.
QFT
>>
>>8289247
>daily "I'm depressed pls help" thread
>>>/adv/
>>
>>8289446
>>8289478

I really, really want to believe this, but is hard.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.