[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to learn economic theory from a mathematical perspective.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (36KB, 309x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 309x400px
I want to learn economic theory from a mathematical perspective. I am reading "the wealth of nations" to get a basic understanding of modern economics, but I want to learn how to apply math to economics. Any books out there teach economics mainly from math? I am a math and physics double major so I probably already know all the math. I just want to learn how to apply it.
>>
>>8285971
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki//sci/_Wiki
>>
Mems
>>
>>8285971
Get daddy Varian. Micro econ is his specialty.
>>
>>8285971
Also look into econometrics
>>
>>8285971
>I just want to learn how to apply it.

It's quite simple. First think of some economic thesis that you would like to be true. Then reverse engineer a complicated mathematical model that gives you your desired conclusion.
>>
>>8285971
All graduate level economics textbooks use rigorous math now. Multivariate calculus, linear algebra, real analysis, probability theory is all you need for math background.

Microeconomic theory by Mas-Collell is the standard introductory micro text in graduate level economics.
http://www.personal.ceu.hu/students/05/Corina_Haita/books/Microeconomic%20Theory.pdf
Ariel Rubinstein's lectures notes in microeconomic theory (free online) are also good if you want something shorter.

For econometrics you should take a look at Hansen's lecture notes (http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~bhansen/econometrics/EconometricsKindle.pdf) and also Hamilton's Time Series Analysis.

Once you have knowledge of micro theory and econometrics you can start looking at macroeconomics texts.
This is the standard first year grad text.
http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~dbackus/Identification/LS%20RMT2ed%2004.pdf
>>
>>8286054
It's scary how often you actually see this in economics. Every model you hear about always comes with like twenty different assumptions that aren't actually congruent with real life at all. Hell even one of the supposedly "hard" sides of economics I.e. Financial Econ/mathematical finance succumbs to it in the form of Black-Scholes. Even though that model is widely used now it was originally created not to price options from the ground up but to look at options prices and somehow finagle a mathematical explanation.
>>
>>8286142
lol agreed. I think many economists view mathematical sophistication as an end in itself.
>>
>>8286142
well the only models that become famous are the ones that are relatively simple and generalizable e.g. black scholes

modern options pricing in both academia and industry no longer assumes constant volatility and uses GARCH models instead, however this means there is no "one size fits model", and the models have to be solved computationally instead of analytically

the tradeoff is that the more complicated but realistic models can't be explained to students or industry people as easily
>>
>>8285971
>I am reading "the wealth of nations" to get a basic understanding of modern economics
wealth of nations is political economy. right about the same conversational sphere as karl marx and other economic philosophy.

start with a basic econ101 textbook for modern economics
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.