[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I prove that if the quotient of: (a^2 + b^2)/(ab+1) is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1471372098656.jpg (20KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1471372098656.jpg
20KB, 500x375px
How do I prove that if the quotient of: (a^2 + b^2)/(ab+1) is an integer, it is also a square number (given that a and b are positive integers)?
>>
>(2^2+2^2)/(2*2+1)=8/5 is an integer
>>
>>8282702
you go back to school and report underage posters
>>
>>8282702
Let k =
a2 + b2ab + 1

We assume that there exist one or more solutions to the given condition for which k is not a perfect square.

For a given value of k, let (A, B) be the solution to this equation that minimizes the value of A + B and without loss of generality A ≥ B. We can rearrange the equation and replace A with a variable x to yield x2 – (kB)x + (B2 – k) = 0. One root of this equation is x1 = A. By Vieta's formulas, the other root may be written as follows:
x2 = kB – A = 1/A(B2 – k).

The first equation shows that x2 is an integer and the second shows that it is nonzero (if it were zero, k = B2, but we have assumed that k is not a perfect square). Also, x2 cannot be less than zero, because that would imply that –kBx2 ≥ k which implies that 0 = x22 – kBx2 + B2 − k ≥ x22 + B2 > 0 which is a contradiction. Finally, A ≥ B implies that
x2 = B2 − k/A < A which implies that x2 + B < A + B which contradicts the minimality of (A, B).

I think it is right.
>>
>>8282707
>One possible set of numbers in place of a and b
>a=/=b
Look at the lib art major everyone
>>
>>8282713
Thanks for that angle, I'm gonna ask my calc professor from last semester if that sounds right. I saw this problem from the 1986 Intl Math Olympics and it threw me off
>>
>>8282707
Holy shit are you retarded???? If it is an integer, it is a square. 8/5 is not an """"""""""""integer""""""""""""""
>>
>I just watched the latest reddit pop-math youtube video and now I want you to explain it to me
Fuck off and die, preferably in that order
>>
>>8282724
>I saw this problem from the 1986 Intl Math Olympics and it threw me off
No you watched numberphile video you autistic child, google up a solution yourself
>>
>>8282784
:^)
>>
File: 20160819_223900.jpg (755KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160819_223900.jpg
755KB, 1836x3264px
Proof is in a section of a book I am reading by Geoff Smith.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.