[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/, first post here. Long story short: I'm a Mexican

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1470804481553.jpg (90KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1470804481553.jpg
90KB, 960x960px
Hey /sci/, first post here.

Long story short: I'm a Mexican looking for advice from the ambassadors of science. I'm 25 and got the equivalent of a Bachelor on Trade from Mexico (licenciatura), but I'm trying to get into science; math and physics to be specific.

But I'm not interested in my country's education. math wasn't that appealing throughout my education, needless to say that math for my degree wasn't that interesting,

I won't attend to a college to study as economy is shit around here and I can't afford the time to attend to one.

I need you guys to guide me into science from the best educational models/methods. I just need to know what topics I must study and the order to do so for better understanding.

I remember algebra, but the algebra that is taught in Mexico's public education is rather elementary.

Can you guys help a brother¿ I just need to get into the right track, insted of wandering around hundreds of topics in no particular order.

Thanks.
>>
>>8281136
Depends on what subject you desire to study. Science is incredibly vast. For a first pass maybe go through some highschool textbooks on Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Physics, etc..
>>
Khan academy.
>>
>>8281137

Im trying to get into math and physics. I know there are a lot of it to study, but let's say I should start from college math; maybe even highschool, I dunno.

I'm taking MIT lectures through OCW, but only Computer Science. Next step is pure math courses, but I'm by no means at that level.
>>
>>8281142

I've tried Khan but it's too damn slow. I can learn by myself, so I'm not looking for learning platforms, rather to know what topics I must learn and the suggested order, so I can do the rest by myself.
>>
>>8281149
Off the top of my head, before you touch calculus, you should learn:

Trigonometry
Logarithms (memorize all properties)
Basic functions (transformations)
Factoring polynomials and quadratic equations
Exponent rules
Radical rules (conjugates especially)
Properties of e

There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting. But get comfortable with all of that, and you should be ready for calculus.
>>
>>8281149
it's not too slow, the repetition is necessary. First off, if you're still at high school level math, your opinion on whether you can learn by yourself or whether Khan is too slow is utterly unqualified and useless. Second, you may be able to quickly teach yourself enough of a topic to take a test and get an A on it, but anybody with half a brain can do that - all of college level algebra should be so deeply ingrained in you that you never have to think about it.

If you don't want to use the platform, then just use it as a list of topics, and learn on your own.

Although if you aren't smart enough to figure out a list of topics for the prerequisite math for a 1st year physics class then you probably aren't smart enough to get anywhere with physics.
>>
>>8281136
Wey, entra a la unam, pasar el examen no debe ser problema alguno
La unam es muy buena opción y no te cuesta ni un centavo, si le hechas ganas podrás lograr grandes cosas
>>
Start with Baldor Algebra (classic latinamerican math book), it's a great book, next you can start with an easy calculus book like Larson book.

First learn math(at least calculus II) before start with physics
>>
>>8281199

Pero la UNAM está en la CDMX... y vivir ahí es un caos. Mi área de trabajo es demandante en tiempo, y desplazarse en la CDMX es un dolor de cabeza. No tendría tiempo de ir a clases salvo que consiguiera un empleo con menos horas, lo que no necesariamente cubre los gastos de vivienda y demás.

Por otro lado estoy tratando de consolidar unos negocios para poder tener independencia económica y entonces sí estudiar, pero esto me consume tiempo también.

Gracias igualmente por la sugerencia. Siempre he pensado mejor en el ITP como opción.
>>
La reputa, verdad que eres mexicano, yo intentando hablar bien inglés lol.
>>
>>8281204
Hay modalidades a larga distancia y no la unam no sólo está en el D.F.
En el D.F. Sólo está CU y cierto que en CU hay mejor nivel pero no importa dónde estés si le hechas ganas
>>
>>8281185
I mean slow like "atm I cant afford a good internet conection, so I use public library wifi, which is always crowded and doesnt load videos at a normal speed, so it is faster to download or consult the right books at the library, rather than wait half an hour for a video at Khan."

Also saying Khan is not that specific. Im already an usear of it, I just want to know what people think is best to learn first and compare their comments on the content Khan can offer.

But thanks, really.
>>
Aprende desde pre-cálculo hasta multivariable incluyendo Álgebra lineal, lo puedes aprender todo de libros. De ahí para adelante puedes seguir con cualquier libro de Física y complementar a tu gusto con otros libros.

Te recomiendo éstos que me parecen clave para la primera etapa:

-Análisis Matemático - Hasser LaSalle
-Álgebra Lineal - Grossman
-Analisis Matematico - B. Demidovich
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.