[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been saying this for years now but the field of consciousness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (61KB, 590x394px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 590x394px
I've been saying this for years now but the field of consciousness is pure pseudo-science garbage.

We can't even define consciousness let alone even begin to imagine just how it works and how it came about.
>>
you're pure pseudo-science garbage
>>
how do we know stones aren't conscious as well? just because they have no way of communicating or interacting with us doesn't mean they aren't 'experiencing' the universe is some way
>>
>We can't even define consciousness let alone even begin to imagine just how it works and how it came about.
But we know its there. And we just can't ignore it.

My theory is that consciousness is a property of matter that is yet to be explored by science. Consciousness occurs when the right arrangement of quarks occur. It's nothing spiritual or outside the boundaries of physical laws. It just happens on a subatomic level that we can't yet understand the mechanics of it.
>>
>>8279973
and what do you base this theory on
>>
Ed witten is an unbelievable physicist but he isn't really an expert in neuroscience
>>
>>8279973
>My theory
that's not a theory, it's a hypothesis
>>
>>8279960
Yes and strong AI is impossible. Tell me something new.
>>
>>8279980
>>8279983

>and what do you base this theory on
on the assumption that all living things with a neural net are conscious. Although the only consciousness I can actually confirm is mine alone so it opens more doors for questions like if I am god, and everything else is precedural, but thats a whole other debate.
>>
File: is this nigga serious.jpg (74KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
is this nigga serious.jpg
74KB, 640x640px
>>8279989
>if I am god
>>
>>8279991
Can you confirm any consciousness other than yours ?
>>
File: 220px-Isaacnewton.png (167KB, 220x329px)
220px-Isaacnewton.png
167KB, 220x329px
>muh quantum consciousness
>muh waveform collapse
>>
>>8279996
define consciousness
>>
>>8279960
Leave

Sage
>>
I've stopped caring about consciousness altogether. I'm tired of seeing all these threads surrounding it, with people espousing their nonsense hypotheses, general misinformation and the endless "hard problem" shitposting. Fuck off with all of if.
>>
>>8280041
you are just upset because you don't understand it
>>
>>8279960
we can't define it because we can't measure it.

YET!
>>
File: jeb shig.png (88KB, 205x256px) Image search: [Google]
jeb shig.png
88KB, 205x256px
>implying consciousness isn't just an emergent property of complex nonlinear dynamical feedback systems
>>
File: 1471153970372.jpg (76KB, 750x516px) Image search: [Google]
1471153970372.jpg
76KB, 750x516px
>>8281514
what this guy said
>>
>>8279960
shut the fuck up
the moment you realize academia hires over-the-hill popscientists, the sooner you ascend
neuroscience is making leaps and bounds. pick up a fucking book you pleb
>>
>>8279973
Quantum Mechanics will explain free-will.
>>
>>8281580
no it won't
because "free will" isn't mathematical
>>
>>8279999
checked and kekked
>>
>>8279972
Wtf are you on about.
>>
"Consciousness" is just a label given to a lose set of mental functions.
>>
File: gd.gif (2MB, 230x175px) Image search: [Google]
gd.gif
2MB, 230x175px
>ITT undergrads fail to even understand the literal PREMISES of the hard problem

Stick to your entry level engineering calculations you fucking Gammas
>>
>>8281861
>ITT undergrads fail to even understand the literal PREMISES of the hard problem
The hard problem is just a word game that confuses the actual mental processes involved in introspection and self-awareness with hand-waving nonsense.
No-one but a small circle of believers is impressed by it.
>>
>>8279983
It is not even that
>>
>>8281861
>the hard problem
I fucking hate misnomers like that. You probably think the fermi paradox is a paradox, too
>>
>>8281889
Ya that dumbass Ed Witten believes in the hard problem. What a quack!!
>>
>>8281514
>implying stability

>>8281563
>brainlet
>>
>>8279960
>We can't even define x let alone even begin to imagine just how it works
this was said about every single thing ever discovered
>>
>>8279972
I've been preaching this for years
>>
>>8281889
define introspection and self-awareness
>>
>>8284814
google.com
you stupid american
>>
>>8279972
This!
>>
Defining consciousness is a little bit like defining art. It's not really that it doesn't exist. There is a phenomenon there, but it is not like anything we have so far suspected it to be. The terms we use for these things are only adding to the confusion. They lead us down dead ends.
>>
File: Hoffman_1K[1].jpg (268KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Hoffman_1K[1].jpg
268KB, 1000x667px
I used to wonder about the hard problem, then I found my Lord and Savior Donald Hoffman
>>
File: 1299262091194.png (317KB, 426x362px)
1299262091194.png
317KB, 426x362px
>>8279960
Consciousness is real, the bullshit around it isn't.
For example, there are no souls or free will or any other shit like that.
You can easily define consciousness as the ability to autonomously figure out the extent of your body, the properties of the environment around you and the ability to solve logical problems.
>>
>>8279983
It's not even a hypothesis.
It's an opinion.
>>
The idea that an explanation of consciousness is beyond scientific study is just a failure of imagination. A hundred years ago nobody could imagine a mechanism by which genes could have a real, physical analog. Now we know all about DNA and even how the molecular machinery works to replicate it and turn hypothetical genes into physical, living things. Why can't you imagine that there's something out there you can't currently imagine that mediates consciousness on a purely physical basis?
>>
>>8279973
>Consciousness occurs when the right arrangement of quarks occur.
This is beyond retarded. The properties of individual quarks don't have any effect on systems larger than atoms, let alone on human-scale systems. What you're suggesting is like trying to explain weather patterns with an atomic model.
>>
File: 1455786164463.png (52KB, 420x294px) Image search: [Google]
1455786164463.png
52KB, 420x294px
>>8284984
>You can easily define consciousness
>>
>>8281514
>muh empty buzzwords
>>
>>8285060
Oh the irony, that response and that image...
>>
>>8279972
how about we put a stone in your head and see what happens?
>>
>>8281514
But what [math]is[/math] a complex nonlinear dynamical feedback system?
>>
>>8285119
That would be our brain.
What that anon meant to say that was too hard for all these summerfags to get was that multiple electrical impulses that constantly draw out info from the system's surroundings, bound to a memory container that is able to accumulate this info leads to consciousness.
>>
>>8279960

Good.

We don't want or need you.

So think whatever you want, while contributing nothing and being of no significance to the field.

t. neuroscience PhD student working on connectomics research.
>>
>>8285192
Does the connectome work as one structure?

What happens if in surgery - i Cut one "arm" of the connectome - it's all the contained personality there lost? How is the information stored across connectome?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.