[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYB 8IZa5AuE Wtf I love lin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: math.png (402KB, 1281x673px) Image search: [Google]
math.png
402KB, 1281x673px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYB8IZa5AuE

Wtf I love linear algebra now
>>
>not submitting to linear-chan
>>
Yeah, the series is pretty great
>>
>>8277508
>3b1b is pretty great
ftfy
>>
>there will never be an intuitive series of videos on tensors or differential forms

help
>>
File: 1460263150133.jpg (28KB, 600x516px) Image search: [Google]
1460263150133.jpg
28KB, 600x516px
linear algebra is pretty great
whenever something feels right, it's probably right

compare to analysis in which fuck you, your intuition is always wrong, here's a counterexample l0l
>>
>determinant is the scale by which the area of a shape changes under a transformation matrix

WTF?!?! How was I never taught this in school. I always thought the determinant was this obscure calculation that could kind of be useful to solve systems of equations.
>>
>>8277581
>t. engineer
>>
>>8277587
are you implying that bad education causes engineers, or that engineers take bad classes?
i think we might be getting close to a cure for engineer
>>
>>8277597
engineers tend to not wanna get into the math and just use specific parts they need to solve problems.
we have to concentrate on the physics of things, math is just a tool to us. things can be mathematically correct, but make no sense in the physics world.
>>
>>8277600
But dude is right, that would be the easiest thing to explain what a determinant is, but neither the teachers nor the professors ever do it. It's boerderline child abuse t b h
>>
>>8277477
genuinely cannot wait to take linear algebra now
>>
>>8277581
You weren't even shown at least the area of a parallelogram formed by vectors?
>>
>>8277477
It's a pretty video but doesn't do much to teach people linear algebra.
In fact it convolutes something as simple as adding 2 vectors to a very complex mess.

I guess it's something 16 y.o. wannabe "coders" watch.

> "i hat"
> "j hat"

Do americans really do this?
>>
>>8277950
true
as an engineer I learned about in some obscure context, where the determinant is essentially a test, I have to to before some other calculation, but if its zero I have to look at it more closely.
Although Im pretty sure it wouldnt have helped me to think about areas at that point.
>>
>>8278234
Yeah, all of this guy's videos are like this. They only provide intuition without nailing it down to concrete calculations so it all eventually just gives a false sense of understanding that's only a couple steps away from actual applicability and playing around. It's a huge shame.

His worst video is this one with logarithm illuminati triangles made me cringe hard.
>>
>>8278234
He explains what it means, you can still just add vectors together as you always did, but knowing why it's done like this is good.
>>
>>8278234
Yes. You underestimate how dumbed down american higher education is. I had to remember i j k hat for my first physics classes.
>>
ITT: faggots who think linear algebra can be conveyed with perfect efficiency in a ten minute video and anybody who cannot do it is a fucking nigger.
>>
>>8277581
Isn't this how Jacobians are intuitively explained?
>>
>>8278959
asking rhetorically obv.. but if you've taken multivar calc it's surprising this point never came up. most linear algebra courses are shit so I can see how they'd skip it.
>>
>>8278959
Jacobians are cute cause they are a linear transformation at every point of a nonlinear transformation usually. Like rectangular -> polar coordinates is nonlinear. But hey, you can still take the infinitesimal volume element at each point cause it's a locally linear transform yay
>>
>>8278965
i've always wondered why that works
what do i google to understand why that works?
>>
>>8279252
the proof for the change of variables formula is long and hard, and can be found in several real analysis books
>>
>>8279252
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rVHLZm5Aho
>>
>>8278234
We do this in Australia
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.