[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Planck units the smallest possible value for a specific physical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: Max_Planck_1933.jpg (1MB, 2216x2752px) Image search: [Google]
Max_Planck_1933.jpg
1MB, 2216x2752px
Are Planck units the smallest possible value for a specific physical quantity? Could something be smaller than one Planck length, or is that just the smallest theoretical measurable distance? What about Planck time? Could there be smaller intervals of time?
>>
>>8274725
>Are Planck units the smallest possible value for a specific physical quantity?
Probably not.
>>
Nothing can be smaller than a Planck length in diameter. something can be closer than one plank length to something else.

Time is a bit beyond m knowledge.
>>
Planck is the smallest unit we can measure, not the smallest unit that can exist

>>8274734
wrong
>>
>>8274743
I'm not considering quarks or neutrinos as points, but as particles with radii, like you are.
>>
>>8274725
its not a quantity, but a distance. It is a theoretical quantized measure of distance but is not verified. There is established, measurable evidence that matter exists in discrete quanta... not so for distance... yet anyway.

Same thing applies to Planck time, as this idea is built on the Planck length.

All this being said, I'm not an expert and can't explain Planck's process or justification for arriving at this distance. I just know that there is no experimental justification for it as yet
>>
File: 1463011996511.png (186KB, 463x515px) Image search: [Google]
1463011996511.png
186KB, 463x515px
>>8274794
Planck Length is the diameter of the Universe when Gravity became a separate force.
Planck Time is the age of the Universe when Gravity became a separate force.

Further, Planck Time is how long it would take a photon to travel the Planck Length.

I'm glad >>>/x/ could help

We have yet to coherently theorize the conditions of the Universe between T=0 and T= Planck Time
>>
>>8274725
Planck units are just units constructed from physical constants, nothing is known to be particularly special about them.

>>8274734
>>8274764
Particles do not have well defined size

>>8274794
The process is just taking fundamental constants like the speed of light and Planck's constant and multiplying them in such a way that you are left with a quantity of distance/time etc.
>>
File: 1471329779680.jpg (1MB, 2216x2752px) Image search: [Google]
1471329779680.jpg
1MB, 2216x2752px
>>8274743
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2561x3400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2561x3400px
>>8277232
>nothing is known to be particularly special about them
Planck Units are very special. They are "naturally occurring" units based on the condition of the Universe when Gravity became a separate force, T = 5.39 * 10^-44 sec after the Big Bang.
>>
>>8274725
I'm not a physicist, but here's my understanding. Energy, length, etc. could be theoretically infinitely small, however, we are observing that there is a minimum size. Basically, you have a minimum length/packet of energy, so any observed length/energy can be described as a discrete number of these minimums. That was the beginning of quantum mechanics.
>>
>>8277287
>That was the beginning of quantum mechanics.
no
>>
>>8274764
>points
according to heisenbergs, even particle that don't have inner structure still have a finite volume
"point-like particle" is merely an approximation for practical purposes, similarly to approximations that one can find in mechanics, electricity, or physical chemistry(ideal gas)
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.