[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

if you were able to travel back in time millions of years, could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1436915414165.jpg (46KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
1436915414165.jpg
46KB, 800x566px
if you were able to travel back in time millions of years, could you breathe the air from the dinosaurs and the cambrian (or wathever) time?

how would it have smell back then?
>>
>>8274324
>if you were able to travel back in time millions of year
Mathematically unlikely.
>>
>>8274374
>he doesn't have imagination
>>
>>8274324
I cant answer that question but i can tell you that in some point of earth history there was a lot more oxigen in the air and it allowed to insects to get giant sizes like centipies 3 or 4 meters large. Dunno if that air could have been noxious for us. Hope someone anon tell us.
>>
>>8274391
A certain percentage of oxygen in the air can be harmful to the human body, known as oxygen toxicity. That's why hospital breathing masks often have holes in them.
>>
>>8274324
people are going to mention oxigen toxicity but you also have to remember that the air could have other shit in it too. Like bacteria that could kill you or pollen that could make u nose bleed to death
>>
>>8274631
Then why did the first Apollo prototypes have a pure oxygen atmosphere?
>>
>>8276513
because it was a prototype and they fucked up
>>
Isn't breathing control dependent upon carbon dioxide levels in the lung?
>>
>>8276524
If the levels are too high you'll start gasping for air and feeling like you're suffocating.

Whereas if you just breathe in pure nitrogen you'll not feel any shortness of breath at all and just pass out.

But the Jurassic atmosphere was not, like, ridiculously alien, it just had more oxygen but it wasn't like 70% oxygen or anything.
>>
>>8274324
probaly like dinosaur poo
is this answer you wanted?
>>
>>8274631
I thought when you inhale too much oxygen you get high. I wonder if oxygen toxicity is like OD'ing on air. In either case going back to dinosaur times you'd be feeling trippy as shit nigga.
>>
I would be more concerned with bacteria
>>
>>8276554
Where they bigger as well?
>>
>>8276584
yes
>>
>>8274324
Most studies show the oxygen percentage (as pO2) relatively low in the middle and late Triassic, but increasing at the end of that period and remaining relatively high until about 40 million years ago, when it started to decline until it hit today's 21%.

260 ma (late Permian): c. 26%
240 ma (mid-Triassic): c. 15%
220 ma (late Triassic): c. 18%
200 ma (earliest Jurassic): c. 20%

During the Jurassic and Cretaceous period oxygen levels fluctuated fairly rapidly from between 21% and 30%, as evidenced by wide-spread fires in the rock record. Fires would spread poorly below 18% pO2, and won't start at all below about 15%. At 30% pO2, even wet plants will burn.

The date range you give (110 - 75 ma) is roughly mid- to late Cretaceous. During that time, both CO2 and O2 levels were higher than today; CO2 was much higher, about 4 times what it is today (c. 1700 ppm vs today's 400 ppm); O2 levels varied from c. 24% to c. 29%. The temperature and humidity were high as well, but they would be within the same range as a hot, humid tropical zone is today.

Optimum breathing ranges for pO2 are 19.5% and 23.5% (from OSHA research), but you can survive from 15% - 28%. At 30% oxygen there will be an excess of oxygen radicals, causing muscle twitching and possibly death.

Optimum breathing ranges for CO2 vary more widely, from c. 180 ppm to about 3,000 ppm. Above about 2,000 ppm there is a noticeable reduction in judgement (we get kind of stupider).

Although it would take a period of adjustment to the higher CO2 and O2 levels, a human would adjust eventually and be able to survive - assuming you could avoid being eaten by a dinosaur.
Written 12 May
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.