[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fight unreasonable skepticism of the scientific establishment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Jellyfish.jpg (758KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Jellyfish.jpg
758KB, 1024x768px
How do we fight unreasonable skepticism of the scientific establishment?

It seems back in the day, when space rockets, aerosol cans, and microwave ovens were still a novelty, people thought science was pretty cool. Sure, lots of people were paranoid about fluoridation and atomic energy, but they didn't really give a shit about the other stuff. Nowadays, something like one third of all Americans gets an undergrad degree, and it is easier than ever to learn science on the internet so if anything we have more firsthand and secondhand exposure to scientists and the scientific method, and yet it seems distrust of science has gone up. I can't think of one discipline that doesn't have some retarded kook theory surrounding it:

>microbiology: AIDS created by the government / vaccines cause autism
>Biology: evolution was deliberately made up to mislead people and is basically a religious dogma instead of a simple fact that people accept based on the evidence
>Astronomy: NASA hides evidence of flat earth
>physics: the electric universe theory is suppressed by physicists because the establishment hates Tesla or something
>chemistry/biochem: big pharma is tricking us into buying cancer medicine when really you can cure cancer with lemon juice/ bleach enemas/Windex
>math: I dunno, I'm sure there's something, or if there isn't you can check back in five years and there will be

What the fuck happened? Did the lowered cost of circulating information somehow tip the balance in favor of retards, or is there more to it than that? Can this be stopped?

I should mention that I am also against unconditional/excessive/naive support of the scientific establishment, but that's a whole other animal.
>>
>>8264583
Two things to blame:

1) General scientific illiteracy, which is present everywhere, but is partly (but not fully) traced to deeply rooted creationism in certain societies, like in the US. This in itself only potentially makes fertile ground for such conspiracies, but it is not the main sower of the conspiratard seed.

2) This is the most important point in my opinion, far more significant than the first. General spur of distrust of the government/establishment/corporatocracy in the US, especially after the fiasco that was the Vietnam war and the revelation of the extent of US propaganda. It's easy to see why this point is important, considering many of these "skeptic" conspiracy theories originate in the US and are US-centric, it's a way of the people to get attention, feel special while demonstrating their distrust of the establishment or the perceived oppressor.

Education doesn't really matter that much when you are exposed to so many "alternatives" to what the scientists are saying, to an extent that you can simply avoid learning to critically examine arguments in favour of regurgitating things that a supposedly more learned person told you. Problem is made worse when some people simply cannot afford said education or the state doesn't place as much value to educating the entirety of its citizens (arguably to the favour of the ruling class of the US). A combination of factors, really.

All in all, I don't think it's a coincidence I see so many American flags being proponents of these kinds of conspiracy theories, which is why I exclusively focus on the US.

>Can this be stopped?
Free colleges and education, importance on science education curriculum by the state (very important), distance from religion (gradually), control of the media, censorship, all of them would help but some have a cost to the people's rights and some to the power of the US elite. Realistically speaking, nothing can be done right now in the US political scene that would help.
>>
Science tells facts while politics tells opinions
When scientific facts disagree with peoples political opinions they will always choose their opinions.
It is why Global warming is a political issue instead of a scientific one to most people.
>>
>>8264583
>math: I dunno, I'm sure there's something, or if there isn't you can check back in five years and there will be

Platonism/mathematical realism.
>>
>>8264583
>How do we fight unreasonable skepticism of the scientific establishment?

Increase the general scientific understanding of the populous, as opposed to lying to them about real science.
>>
>>8265217
Good luck with that science pedagogy in America is getting spitroasted as one of the few things that has bipartisan support.

Even technical positions don't offer much critical thinking. Went to get a physical exam as I get to once a year and the doctor said I needed to take 50000 IU (25 times the usual amount in non-prescription) vitamin D pills for being a basement dweller. I asked her if that amount in a single moment was absorbable given the lipophilicity of it and she just got upset. She could've just even lied and said it was the absorption maximum expected for a fool my age and size, I'd believe it. It's not like those pills make em money anyway.
>>
I wouldn't be surprised if big pharma is holding stuff back. Hygiene hypothesis is old AF and helminth therapy is only being researched now. To add onto that they switch to solely running trials with pig helminths you have to keep taking, saying human helminths are too dangerous, which is BS. Just watch, they're going to say the treatment is ineffective with some small BS dose that shouldn't work and push it aside. Big pharma is corrupt as hell. Just think if you were to cure all autoimmune disease; how many companies would that wipe out?

I also wouldn't be surprised the adjuvants in vaccines did cause autism and that they lied in the follow up studies to prevent a resurgence of old diseases. There was one researcher theorizing maybe it was autoimmune in part. Some Greek doctor at Tufts university.
>>
>>8264583
Global warming isn't real. They even had to change the name for fuck's sake. I literally don't give a shit, fuck this bitch ass earth
>>
>>8264583
I blame the internet. When everyone can do their "research" they can get to any retarded conclussion they want and believe they can prove it.
>>
>>8265280
What a retarded bitch. If you could absorb all the D in those pills you'd develop hypervitaminosis D. Jesus christ, this is why women should never be doctors.
>>
>>8265394
I never mentioned global warming in my post.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.