[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/ what would be the limiting factors for 1.taking a 3D printer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 1459969005258.png (387KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1459969005258.png
387KB, 800x1200px
/sci/ what would be the limiting factors for

1.taking a 3D printer
2. replacing the head with an electron beam emitter
3.house it in an autoclave (control pressure/temperature)
4.run a metal of your choice in filament form
5. extrude it and retain its strength and ductility with the autoclave
6.?????????
7.additive manufacturing of metal parts

am i missing anything here?
>>
Whats the filament made of ? The nozzle shouldn't melt with the filament itself, considering they are both metals. And even copper nozzles are difficult to open a nozzle hole with laser cutting.

Are electron beams enough to melt the metal instantly ? I'm not sure how it would work. Also it should cool immediately when it comes out of it.
>>
>>8263645
well i wouldn't want it to cool on the spot because that would cause it to shrink really fast and weaken the altrope structure right? sorry my chemistry and physics is rusty.
>>
>>8263655
Then the surface quality will be shit. thats the problem with cheap printers, the filament doesn't stick to the layer beneath and shift a tiny millimeter, then the layer above doesn't fit right on top the previous layer and cause stepping artifacts.

Metals cool really fast but they would require very high temperatures to melt through the nozzle first. I don't know what kind of system can provide that level of quick heat control.
>>
>>8263637
They have entirely 3d printed an m1911 pistol out of metal already. They shot it too i think. My point is you are late to the party OP.
>>
>>8263682
im talking about filament printing though, where you don't need argon gas and all that shit. you just need an electron beam and an autoclave, basically a pressurized kiln.
>>
>>8263695
There are metal printers that burn iron dust with gimbal lazers to stick them together.
He's right, you are late to the game by 6-7 years.
>>
>>8263700
again you need to do that shit in a sealed chamber filled with inert gas so that you don't have the metallic equivalent of a dust explosion.

what i'm referring to allows you have a metal printer that only needs electricity and the filament to do the work. filament is also way cheaper than powder. slow and steady wins the race.
>>
>autoclave
not nearly hot enough
>>
>>8263705
see : >>8263666
>>
>>8263757
what do you mean? can't you just make an autoclave that is, like say, 3000C tolerant?
>>
Electron beams do not work well at high pressure if at all.

Resolution would be limited by nozzle size, so it would be very bad. And slow.

Electron beam melting works better than this.

Video fucking related:
https://youtu.be/Cqa3TMxje14

Notice how it prescans everthing? That's so it can control the powder bed temperature
>>
Isnt that what 3D printers was meant for?
>>
>>8263772
no it was for plastic.

>>8263765
why wouldn't it work at high pressure? and powders would be insanely expensive to maintain and requires inert gases. a filament doesn't need this. you can control the temperature with a heated bed or chamber with a vacuum seal.
>>
>>8263763
that's no longer an oven, but a furnace
>>
>>8263797
and?
>>
File: xho7qfgbucnfdkbvponi.gif (4MB, 636x333px) Image search: [Google]
xho7qfgbucnfdkbvponi.gif
4MB, 636x333px
>>8263637
I'm a complete noob but

why not use a sized down version of pic related?

or my other idea would be to turn the concept around, get a pool of molten metal and use resonant frequencies (like a microwave does with water) to cool down/synchronize randomly "shaking" metal particles so they automatically solidify in a symmetric fashion
>>
Because there's a whole fucking lot more to a part than just the shape and material it's made of.
>>
>>8263776
To make an electron beam you need a vacuum. Electrons scatter off of gas molecules. More pressure = more scattering.

>> powders would be insanely expensive to maintain and requires inert gases
I have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you saying you need inert gases to maintain metal powders?

EBM uses a big tank full of nothing. DMLS which uses inert gas is not made insanely expensive because of the inert gas. Your autoclave process will also need inert gas to avoid oxidizing the metal.

Second, we have ways to deal with metal powders. Powder metallurgy is used to mass produce metal parts. The powders for additive manufacturing are getting cheaper, because now there is a market for them.

Sciaky has been doing essentially this process sans autoclave for 20 years now. Pic related. It's great for making large parts because the deposition rate is high, but the resolution is pretty bad.
>>
File: Arcam_S12.jpg (110KB, 800x1081px) Image search: [Google]
Arcam_S12.jpg
110KB, 800x1081px
>>8263637
>/sci/ what would be the limiting factors for

>1.taking a 3D printer
>2. replacing the head with an electron beam emitter
>3.house it in an autoclave (control pressure/temperature)
>4.run a metal of your choice in filament form
>5. extrude it and retain its strength and ductility with the autoclave
>6.?????????
>7.additive manufacturing of metal parts

Extant: Requires money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_beam_additive_manufacturing
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.