[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i just read about the infinite monkey theorem. Hamlet by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Monkey-typing.jpg (76KB, 633x356px) Image search: [Google]
Monkey-typing.jpg
76KB, 633x356px
So i just read about the infinite monkey theorem.

Hamlet by Shakespeare has around 130.000 letters and ignoring punctuation and upper-case, getting 1 letter right is a 1 out of 26 chance. The probability of getting the entire text right on first try is one in 3.4x10^183.946.

The chance is fuckballs small ofc but i was wondering, would x number of monkeys be enough to type out the text correctly first try if x was Grahams Number?
>>
it would be extremely improbable
>>
>>8263137
But shouldn't the sheer size of grahams number be enough?
>>
>>8263121
>Grahams Number
No such thing, the biggest number is [math]10^{200}[/math].
>>
>>8263140
for you.
>>
I'm glad to see that even the "intelligent" /sci/ is just as much about shitposting as the other boards.
>>
File: 24.jpg (77KB, 432x618px) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
77KB, 432x618px
No. Randomness doesn't exist. A monkey that is forced to hit keys on a typewriter will not do so in an entirely random manner. There are some patterns that no monkey can ever write out. For example, no monkey will ever hit the letter 'L' 130,000 times because monkeys do not hit keys randomly. They hit keys as a result of deterministic chains of causation, none of which lead to a monkey pressing the letter 'L' 130,000 times. Likewise, no matter how many monkeys you have, none of them will ever be deterministically destined to write out Hamlet - the pattern to do so is much more 'complex' than what a typical monkey is capable of typing out. Just because you have an infinite amount of typing birds does not mean that one will eventually type out Hamlet.
>>
Infinite tries means that it will eventually happen
>>
>>8263150
The theorem just uses monkeys to make it easier to understand though. It goes by the rule that, in this case, the keys all have an equal chance of being pressed.
>>
>>8263150
this
>>8263160
and lets say we let a computer pick random letter. so it is random ohne kompromiss.

then we are still ignoring that shakespeare is using spaces. so getting one letter right is 1:27. then we are still ignoring paragraphs etc but the odd are irrelevant to answer: yes it is possible, given the condition that a monkey is really hitting randomly
>>
>>8263174
spaces and paragraphs don't add that much complexity in the big scheme of things

it's 2 extra characters, and perhaps 200,000 symbols instead
>>
>>8263137
For you
>>
>>8263146
shit posting for a shit thread
>>
>>8263137
It's a big number
>>
>>8263121
It already exist:

https://libraryofbabel.info/

Every single possible combination of letters already exist in a big number even if you don't manually write it yourself.
>>
>>8263254
For you.
>>
>>8263121
Graham's number of monkey would be able to shit out the entirety of humankind's literary works past, present and future, many times over, amidst an ocean of noise. It's an almost meaninglessly large number.
>>
>>8263141

>this meme still
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.