[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help designing a research study for a research grant proposal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: images.jpg (18KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
18KB, 290x174px
Need help designing a research study for a research grant proposal regarding the ocean and climate change. I need to think of a question then develop a scientific process that costs 500k-1.5 million. Considering:
Climate change effect on deep water
Mammal migration
>>
>>8261957
I think seeing a possible grant opportunity and then designing research around it is a terrible way to go.

You should be already interested in possible projects that you know well, and when a grant shows up, take one of them and propose it.
>>
>>8261963
I know but I am just doing a mock up study before I teach a class on elevation physics and I need to practice
>>
>>8261957
The ocean is a giant sink for co2.
The ocean is warming
Fish and plankton need to adjust to temp changes or die out.

Whales will change migration patterns to possibly colder spots, or change the time of year they migrate and reproduce.
>>
>>8262036
>>8261963
>>8261957
OP here do you think studying the ocean's chemical changes and their effects on phytoplankton and algae would be good?
Anyone have ideas on how what to measure?
Iron, CO2 comes to mind
>>
>>8261957
>Goes onto 4chan to get ideas for a 1.5 million dollar grant
>>
>>8262055
>>8262036
>>8261963
Maybe add temperature changes to that too?
>>
>>8262071
thought this was /sci? haha at least I'm not on /b/
>>
>>8261957
How can you do measuraments in past and how can you predict future correct?

Isnt this kind of power grid we have responsible for global warming?

First they started with elektricity in egypt and look, there is a big dessert there...
>>
>>8262071
BAIN?
>>
>>8261957

1. Write a paper on how this research is a waste of resources

2. Win the grant

3. Give the grant to someone that actually needs it.
>>
File: 1461609342184-1.gif (1MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
1461609342184-1.gif
1MB, 350x197px
>>8262098
well since the founder is a PHD in the fucking ocean I don't think he will align with your sensibilities, I agree tho
>>8262086
*bain voice* yesssss tis meeee
>>8262079
very cool idea hard to grasp its relationship to oceanography tho
>>
>>8261957
More interesting and fun topic would be Penguins and their reproductive/rearing success rates in accordance to to climate change. It has precedence, tweak it to your liking.
>Plus, everybody loves penguins
>>
>>8262107
>>8262055
phytoplankton change in the ocean is the most important aspect of the oceanography work right now tho
>>
File: rgerbvvfe.jpg (5KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
rgerbvvfe.jpg
5KB, 318x159px
>>8261957

marine anon reporting in senpai

to start with, you should be looking at the calcite compensation depth, and the potential effects of ocean acidification on the EAM

how will a difference in EAM assemblage affect the energy content of cold water upwellings ?

this is relevant to marine mammals, deep water / photic zone nutrient cycling, etc.

your sampling methodology should absolutely include light traps - consult the literature, you will find plenty. they are super cheap, great at sampling plankton at depth, and can be deployed off a small vessel.

the expensive part of your proposal will be dealing with marine mammals; long range telemetry is a good option, but can be problematic for marine mammals.

you can keep manpower and effort costs down if you can identify a keystone species for long-term monitoring effort; i would propose a pilot study to begin with.

good luck anon.
>>
>>8262071
Tell me about Bain! Why does he wear the turban?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.