[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/, I'm a chemistry master's student working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: serveimage.jpg (5KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
5KB, 160x120px
Hey /sci/,
I'm a chemistry master's student working in a small lab whose focus is on the total synthesis of natural products. I am thinking about taking an extra semester to finish up my thesis and make it better than what it would be if I defend at the end of the summer. We had to move labs a couple of semesters ago, and let me tell you that it literally took an entire semester from us as it was more labor than anyone had forseen. Anyway, forgetting these excuses has anyone here taken more than two years to complete their master's degree?

Is this career suicide? Will anyone consider me for PhD if they know that I did this? For me, money is not really an issue and the school I attend is pretty small, so its relatively cheap. I guess my real question is, how bad does this look in the long run??

Any advice, especially that based on real experiences, is much appreciated.

Just felt like asking people here, as some may have actual experience in regards to this as opposed to consulting some other website or forum.
>>
Total synthesys of orange....

Take artifical light and grow a tree idiots...
>>
>>8261888
Um, ok.
>>
>>8261868
>cheap university
>took more than the average time to complete
looks bad, fa m
>>
>>8261868

you are coming to such the wrong place friend.

this board is all high schoolers and freshman in college who spam memes nothing mroe
>>
>>8261909
What if taking the extra semester allows me to get a paper?
>>
>>8261868
what school are you at
>>
>>8261868
I'm a PhD student in an organic lab. we just got a student who finished his masters before applying. He was very quick to take to the environment and can work independently. much better than any of the students that came straight from undergrad. I would be very surprised if a masters hindered you in any way before starting your PhD. I would assume that it would help. if you are paying for your masters I would say just graduate and get into a program. If you arent then finishing what you starting and ending with a strong thesis sounds pretty rewarding.
>>
>>8263051
I should have rephrased it. I have completed coursework of masters already. I meant taking 5 semesters instead of the usual 4 to complete the degree. Mostly I am trying to get better data so that I can maybe publish a small synthetic paper. Otherwise, nobody really knows who the hell you are in this world. Is that a red flag for PhD programs or jobs?
>>
>>8264860

No. You're fine.
>>
>>8264860
no, I got into a PhD program from undergrad with no publications in computational chemistry going into materials. they dont care and you will get into a very good school.
>>
>>8264860
I'd like to add that I know its stressful waiting to hear back, but odds are you will get accepted somewhere. I was a mediocre chem student with 2 years of research under my belt and I got into a school ranked just behind boston college. i was in literally the same position as you, scared shitless about whether I would be accepted or not. its going to be fine.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.