[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well, I'm a huge fraud. Physics PhD student here, and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Double-slit.png (4KB, 401x192px) Image search: [Google]
Double-slit.png
4KB, 401x192px
Well, I'm a huge fraud.

Physics PhD student here, and I can't answer a simple question asked by an undergrad about the double slit experiment.

What exactly is going on with how the beam particles interact with the slit? Are they interacting with the particles that make up the screen? How do the particles that make up the screen respond to interacting with the incoming particles?
>>
its a bullshit that has been debunked. you get the same pattern with a single slit as well.

just another scam by scientists to hype some retarded unrealistic shit over a basic reflection pattern.
>>
It does not interact.
Having two slits answered had a purpose to prove a hypothesis.
>>
>>8251828

Don't worry anon. It's common to forget the basis once you get to higher levels. I would have a hard time doing factoring even though I know Calculus 3 by heart. I saw it all the time with my teacher assistants.
>>
File: 250px-079Slowpoke.png (46KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-079Slowpoke.png
46KB, 250x250px
>>8251828
Uh, do you even Quantum?

If you are a physics PhD student, that means you've taken QM, and it should be relatively fresh on your mind.

Model the slit as an infinite potential barrier everywhere but the slits themselves for simplicity. The particle's wavefunction is excluded from these locations in space. That way you don't have to worry about the nuance of the interaction between the screen and particle, as that's not what really makes the experiment interesting. Then solve the Schodinger's equation. It will act qualitatively similar to water waves diffracting past a double slit in a wave pool. In that way you can interpret the interference pattern as the result of how the waves' phases result in constructive or destructive interference on the screen.

Does that help?
>>
>>8251828
>Physics PhD student here, and I can't answer a simple question asked by an undergrad about the double slit experiment.
me too. I have a phd in physics and can't even remember the hamiltonian for the harmonic oscillator. i have zero intuition about physics and maths.
>>
>>8251912
He asked for the particle model interaction between the slit and the photon, not the waveform model.

In the particle model, what happens is that the photons land in a probabilistic manner that's congruent with a wave interference pattern. The unknown is how the particles in one slit know what particles in the other slit are doing, which is still an open question in quantum mechanics, though there are some hypotheses floating around.
>>
>>8251968
This is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read.
>>
Nobody knows, it just happens, why he do this experiment?
>>
http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.16104

>Electrons are detected by a two-dimensional position-sensitive electron-counting system, which is schematically illustrated in Fig. 4. This system is a combination of a fluorescent film and the photon-counting image acquisition system (PIAS) produced by Hamamatsu Photonics K.K.

>When a 50-kV electron hits the fluorescent film, approximately 500 photons are produced from the spot. The photons excite the photo cathode through the fiber plate and photo electrons are produced. They are accelerated to 3kV through the electrostatic lens and the point image of electrons is formed at the upper surface of the multichannel plate (MCP). The number of electrons is multiplied there and the position is then measured by the position sensor. The signal of the electron arrival at each channel is transferred to the storage memory and the accumulated electron image is displayed on the TV monitor.
>>
>>8251828
It bounces back from the screen next to slit and hits back the wall next to it :D

Fluctum doesnt handle enought passtrought...

Answers are many,,,
>>
>>8251828
The photons don't interact with the slit as particles, they pass through the slit.

The film is photovoltaic, when the film is exposed to energy, it discolors.
>>
>>8251828
>Physics PhD
>Doesn't know basic physics.
Gee, I wonder why engineers are infinitely better at almost everything, except of course for a few good scientists. I also wonder why this board hates them so much.

Physics is literally a meme degree for lazy cunts with no through knowledge.

Anyway why are you asking us? You're at PhD level. Open a fucking book and/or Google. Basic auto-didactic skills.
>>
>>8251828
Take a single particle from the beam and say its trajectory strikes the screen the slits are in. The particle interacts with one (or several) of the particles making up the screen, which, in turn, interact strongly with other particles in the screen, etc. Through this process, the collision with the screen acts as a macroscopic measuring event and destroys all superposition states where the particle both did and did not strike the screen and so these particles do not matter for the double slit effect.
>>
>>8253039
Physicists discover, engineers polish.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.