[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw brainlet Don't usually browse this board,but..

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: images (13).jpg (15KB, 426x345px) Image search: [Google]
images (13).jpg
15KB, 426x345px
>tfw brainlet
Don't usually browse this board,but..
Anyone here ever wonder how most of the inventions are even possible. It seems too bizarre to me that things like the television, submarines, satellites and other complex stuff came to be

How can scientific progression continue when most don't have an interest or even the least bit of knowledge the subject (even with online help)
>>
>>8250014

Of course they are complex to people that have no idea how they behave.

But once you understand how nature works, basically being able to comprehend how the fundamental particles function is enough to know it's not that complex in the end, just amazing engineering from humans.
>>
File: 1460220661157.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1460220661157.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
It's magic!
>>
If all out needs were met without much effort on our part and there was no greed, would science and technology continue to advance or would we lose interest and devolve into something more animalistic?
>>
>>8250035
Ah yes, very impressive. I think we'll go into a dark age for a while before going back to intelligent civilisation
>>
File: 1453918285353.jpg (38KB, 639x800px) Image search: [Google]
1453918285353.jpg
38KB, 639x800px
Now this is scienz!
>>
>>8250014
Considering where STEM is today, tvs subs and satellites are relatively simple and generally not complex at all imo
>>
>>8250014
It honestly scares me when I think about it long enough. People who can engineer shit competently are a very small part of the population. Sure we spit out a lot of engineers but how many are actually good? How many people are separating us from innovation and a complete break down in tech? 10000?

Maybe I'm just a dumbfuck projecting my stupidity onto every one else though. Idk.
>>
>>8250052
That's what I feel. At the end of the day, the average person is no where near the best. Seems quite cynical, but a lot of people are just mindless consumers
>>
>>8250060
It's not very surprising though, The amount of knowledge one has to have to invent anything today or even to do some of the jobs is too damn high. It's in the nature of gathering knowledge.
>>
>>8250014
>Anyone here ever wonder how most of the inventions are even possible. It seems too bizarre to me that things like the television, submarines, satellites and other complex stuff came to be
The best answer I can give is that they didn't come to be in a single step. For each of those inventions, there was decades of previous work building on top of of even older work. Small steps and refinements, along with people combining multiple different ideas, led to those things.

>How can scientific progression continue when most don't have an interest or even the least bit of knowledge the subject
Because a significant number of people ARE interested in that kind of stuff.
>>
>>8250014

In part, it's a numbers game.
Let's assume that 1% of the people work in science/engineering, that means at least 2 million people in the US with a bit of knowledge in the subject. If everyone makes some very small contribution during their career, those 2 million contributions add up to a lot of progress.

Most of them don't do any major inventions at all,but possibly some minor improvements of the tasks they are given in their work.

The number of really great inventors in the history of technology, who come up with something fundamentally new, like Edison or Diesel, is possibly smaller than 1000.

If you really want to understand how many of the things we use today work, I highly recommend buying the book "How Everything Works" by Louis Bloomfield. No deep knowledge of math required.
>>
>>8250052
>How many people are separating us from innovation and a complete break down in tech? 10000?
It's not so bad mate. People just self-select into knowledge and professions that are going to be useful to them. If knowing and practicing engineering isn't going to get you anywhere because there are too many better people out there you won't bother. But if all those better than you die you'd do it and maybe even come up with something decent.
>>
>>8250014
>>8250234

Here's the story of television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGzFz2Nrq6s
>>
A bunch of smart people discovered something, a bunch more worked on improving the something, a bunch took the improvement and applied it to consumer products and the products were sold to people or the government or other firms.

Its rarely a one person gig. Tesla is so famous, not because he was alien tier smart, but because he did the whole process above with very few people helping.
>>
THERE ARE NO DISCOVERIES ONLY REVELATIONS
>>
>>8250257
Which essentially makes him alien smart.
>>
>>8250335
Like immigrant kind of alien?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.