[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes one a good mathematician? Is it predetermined? In

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 2equals1.png (14KB, 525x410px) Image search: [Google]
2equals1.png
14KB, 525x410px
What makes one a good mathematician? Is it predetermined?

In high school, I learned proofs and calculus and even number theory, and I'm going off to uni for math. However, I can't understand certain topics like the Poincare conjecture. Can math skills be honed so much that I can become a good mathematician?
>>
>>8249289
Yes, it's called mathematical maturity
>>
practice
>>
>>8249289
>Is it predetermined?
To a small degree, but in reality it just takes fucking practice.

It's like saying people are predetermined for music. Yeah, there are some people who are just awesome at music, but the majority play just fine with practice.
>>
>>8249294
but just how much? And is there a stopping point to which one can learn math?
>>
>>8249289
Am I dumb? What's wrong with OPs pic.
>>
Math is a very broad topic. Unless you're a true savant, there are bound to be some topics that escape you and others that you will excel at.

That being said of course you can so long as you work for it. Studying at uni can be tough for a freshamn who hasn't developed good work ethics before then. I remember a ton of smart kids freshman year felt like retards half the time because they couldn't be bothered to study for more than 30 minutes for an exam and inevitably failed while us normies got together in study groups and made our parents proud
>>
The only real predetermination is your level of interest in mathematics. After that it's just study and practice.
>>
>>8249312
Divide by zero. Its a meme
>>
>>8249316
what are some tips you'd give your freshman self? I think I have good study/work ethic, but was there anything that caught you off guard?
>>
>>8249326
What do you want to do? Be like Gauss and shit? Those times are over. Everything has been invented.
>>
>>8249326
Give up your hobbies and learn to love math if you want to be anything.
>>
>>8249318
Oh yeah, because a=b so a-b=0. How did I not see that.

10/10 tricked.
>>
>>8249326
Not everything on the next test will be covered in class. Make sure you are learning and discovering a significant amount about a topic on your own time.

And try not to kill yourself when you're overworked and exhausted. If you need to stop then stop. This won't always be an option, especially as a math/sci major, but your academic performance will suffer when you're at your wit's end. Many of the brightest people I've met have a creative brilliance about them that enables them to excel. Keeping in touch with the part of your mind that is stimulated by learning and working can be a tremendous asset. Don't be a drone
>>
>>8249338
not at all, just want to make myself a good mathematician. Doesn't mean I think I'm genius

>>8249342
check

>>8249376
thank you. I'll take this advice then. How far does the curriculum stray?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.