[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ I'm taking an introductory circuits course starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: circuits.jpg (26KB, 260x329px) Image search: [Google]
circuits.jpg
26KB, 260x329px
Hey /sci/ I'm taking an introductory circuits course starting august. Its going to be an accelerated summer course. What should I do in advance to prepare? I already know the basics of resistors, inductors and capacitors from physics, and I remember kirchoffs laws. What else do I need to learn for this kind of class? This is the book we will be using btw
>>
>>8233907
>introductory
Nothing. Enjoy your holidays.
>>
>>8233909
Really? I mean guess okay. I figure if I study 2 hours a day every day I will do well enough.
>>
>>8233907

Learn all about Fourier Series and Transforms BEFORE you get to phasors/Laplace Transforms
Study up on matrix algebra and solving system of equations with matrices
Be familiar with how to switch between complex numbers in polar and rectangle forms, e^ix=cos(x)+isin(x)
>>
>>8233917
That sounds like it won't be till around the end of the class. What do you need matrix algebra for? For the kirchoffs equations we did in physics all we did was the traditional set up multiple equations and isolate a variable to plug back into the other equation etc. Does matrix algebra make it easier? My linear algebra is kinda rusty
>>
>>8233926
>Does matrix algebra make it easier?
Yes.
>>
>>8233926
learn matrix algebra like this >>8233926
guy said.

they are more than likely going to let you use a decently functional calculator for exams.

learn how to program that fucker and how to use its matrix manipulation capabilities. i'm guessing you're an engineering student, because thats the book i used for circuits.

if you are good at math, now would be a good time to pick up a numerical methods text.
>>
File: thev2k.gif (4KB, 354x221px) Image search: [Google]
thev2k.gif
4KB, 354x221px
>>8233926
>For the kirchoffs equations we did in physics all we did was the traditional set up multiple equations and isolate a variable to plug back into the other equation etc

The systems get larger really quick and it's so much easier to write a matrix equation Ax=b and then solve it instantly with x=A\b in matlab.
>>
Can anyone recommend a good way to start with and learn all of the matrix algebra necessary for a physics degree?

I feel it would save massive headaches to do it now.
>>
>>8234216
google. khan academy.
>>
>>8234216
https://www.amazon.com/Matrix-Analysis-Applied-Algebra-Solutions/dp/0898714540
http://saba.kntu.ac.ir/eecd/sedghizadeh/Ebooks/Matrix_Analysis.pdf
>>
>>8233907
Read up on node voltage & mesh current methods for analyzing circuits, because that's probably what you will be using the most (I used the same book in your image). Also, just practice a lot, that's what helped me get my A (no biggie guys), I went through each homework afterwards and did them again without referencing the answer key. it's probably going to be stressful if you're not that experienced, but doing well in this class lays a great foundation for further circuits classes. And also, good luck!
>>
>>8234205
>>8234194
>>8234256
Thanks for all the advice. And yeah I am an engineering student. My math is alright, I got a B in differential equations which I know is necessary for inductors and capacitors.
>>
>>8233917
The only thing here I'd really bother with is the basic linear algebra/matrix algebra.

You have a bunch of techniques for analyzing circuits that use linear algebra. For a basic idea of why, suppose you need to figure out the current and voltage between every connection in a circuit board. You could pull out a multimeter and measure everything but literally fuck that. Instead what you do is measure some key points on the board and use them to set up a system of equations where the variables represent different paths to the point. Then by just solving the system of equations you can quickly figure out lots of information about the board without having to bust your ass measuring everything.

For this some (fairly basic) understanding of linear algebra will go a long way.
>>
>>8234530
Electric Circuits by Alexander and sadiku is a much better book IMO. The book gives you a very good grasp on the basics.
The matrix algebra is to make solving the simultaneous equations easier. You just calculate a few determinants and that's about it, nothing complicated really. All the equations that require a DE to be solved use just the laplace transform.
My advice is to master KVL, KCL, nodal and mesh analysis, superposition and source transform, which you will use over and over again. DC and AC both use these techniques and it is worth your time getting them down when you first learn the DC variants
Go over complex numbers so you can deal with complex impedances, will make phasors easier and partial fractions for the Laplace transform
I wouldn't bother with Fourier series just yet
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.