[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would being born with synesthesia help or hinder a person's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Would being born with synesthesia help or hinder a person's abilities with mathematics or science?

Supposedly people with synesthesia have incredible memories.
>>
I was born with something like synesthesia. I don't strongly associate colours or other basic sensory registries with ideas, but I do something similar.

For me, when I think of an idea my brain emulates the feeling of being in a specific imaginary location or atmosphere.

An example: when I am playing the song "Ho Hey" by the Lumineers, I feel like I am climbing down from a giant bookshelf. It's weird and involuntary, but once that association is formed, it is pretty much impossible not to recall whatever the idea is.

When I am studying topological spaces, they induce weird environments. When I am studying a torus, I am floating in space somewhere between the Earth and Mars, facing the sun.

The associations are not immediately useful, but when I learn new things, the environment becomes clearer and easier to recall.

I have excellent memory, and always have. I don't know if this counts as synesthesia, but it is the association of internal sensory stimulus to ideas. I'm guessing that this is just how memories work, and everybody does this to some extent. It is just very, very prominent for me.

Brains are weird.
>>
>>8231542
That's called having a basic imagination
>>
Makes remembering things easier because you have more hooks to bring forth the information you'd like.
>>
>>8231542
really nigga? Your imagination does not make you unique
>>
>>8231594
Yeah, but would that bring any advantages when learning abstract concepts in Mathematics/Theoretical Physics?
>>
>>8231587
I dunno man, maybe. But like I said, it's not something that I voluntarily do, and I struggle with certain creative things. I am a proficient technical artist, but I can't produce an artistic idea no matter how hard I try.

When I tell friends about this, they have trouble relating. Maybe I have simply queried too small a population.

It's very easy for me to enter into intense focus on a topic once I have developed an "atmosphere" for it. That is how I guage my when I have become comfortable with a topic.
>>
>>8231542
That's normal
>>
>>8231645
Okay, thank you for lending me a new perspective.
>>
>>8231542
People are sort of jealous, that's not normal. Pretty neat desu. Could you give us some more examples of associations you make?
>>
>>8232082
Sure dude. When I think about various numbers they generally get associated to more simple objects, which can be weird. Powers of ten are successively larger factories. Powers of three are successively larger trees. Powers of two aren't actually objects specifically, but I get the impression that I am near a body of water. When I am working with the ∞-topos ∞Grpd, I feel like I am floating around with an infinitude of strings that are all tangling around me. I dunno. It's weird, but that when I think about that feeling I start thinking about ∞-groupoids.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.