[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this is a long shot, but is anyone here a highschool math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: teacher.jpg (40KB, 500x306px) Image search: [Google]
teacher.jpg
40KB, 500x306px
I know this is a long shot, but is anyone here a highschool math teacher?

I just transferred over from a community college to a nearby University's math program. Everyone within the program is telling me that I should try to take as many comp sci classes as possible (maybe even get a minor, or a double major in comp sci) because if I don't like teaching there's not much I can do with just a bachelor's in math.

I think I'll like teaching math. I always enjoyed tutoring people, and I think I do a pretty good job at explaining things to classmates when they come to me for help. If anyone here is a math teacher for a US high school, can you give me a bit of insight into what the job will actually be like on a day-to-day basis? Do you grow tired of it? Is the classroom management awful? How do you like teaching highschool kids in comparison to other grade levels?
>>
>>8229466
I'm not a teacher but I've heard horror stories about how it isn't what people expect.
>The school and board of education give you your curriculum and you are given only a small amount of flexibility with regards to how you can teach.
>Everyone hates you because the curriculum is ass, this includes but is not limited to students, parents, and teachers.
>The general public thinks you're just a parasite living off their taxes and would like nothing more than to have your wages cut to the absolute minimum.
>Other teachers are retards and if you do manage to make teacher friends and gain any sort of political power then the administration will move you all around because they don't like that.
>In some places, most notably redneckistan (Texas), shit conditions have led to teacher shortages which have been getting filled by dumb and desperate people who simultaneously take teaching courses during night school.

Teaching might sound like a noble way to give back to society and you might think that you can actually help fix a broken math education system but unless you're at a prestigious private school or a post secondary then it's a shit job where everyone hates you.
>>
>>8229466
>>8229488

Hey, OP here. Here's another interesting tidbit on my exposure to teaching. My mom was a third grade teacher who quit because of overbearing shit from the administration. I don't know to what extent all of this goes, but from here it sounds like the principal was this new guy who was there to, in a way, trim fat. He would go find the oldest, most well paid teachers and 'observe' their classroom incessantly. According to my mom, she had one of the most consistent high scores in testing, and she complained about it often. There's a chance she may be exaggerating, but I had her for a teacher and her class was the easiest shit ever when she was teaching me. There were like 5 senior teachers who were all making like 90K, my mom included. He would sit in their classrooms and 'observe' and take notes of their teaching. Within like 4 years 3 of the senior teachers retired early, taking pretty nice retirements (again, my mom included). It is quite weird, but I don't know if this behavior extends to the system at large, or if that was just a shit situation.
>>
I substituted for a 10th grade high school geometry class last year for 2 months. It was very difficult because you have to teach on a schedule, you are burdened with keeping grades up, not the parents or students, or else its review after review after review. Kids dont pay attention and dont take it seriously.

Basically, i was a babysitter that had to get kids to pass the FCAT or the school makes your life worse. The pay is shit too, but i was just a sub.
>>
>>8229576
I don't think teaching the material is going to be that hard. Enough non-retarded kids will learn it I think. That does sound awful, though.
>>
>>8229466
I've worked in a school.
You will be preoccupied with classroom management and effective methods of teaching rather than the actual mathematical content (which is trivial).
The skill of teaching is not conveying interesting back stories about a subject, rather being able to control a group of 20-30 unwilling subjects to get them to do what you want them to do.

I had far more knowledge of maths, and could explain it in far more depth than any other teacher at my school, however the best teachers were the ones who could control the class most effectively.

This is where you realise that school is about training obedience rather than teaching for the love of the subject.

As well as this, be prepared for your school to fuck you in the ass as it sells the ground from underneath you, and makes you work more and more for less and less until you strike and get shit sorted temporarily, before they start the process again.
>>
>>8229466
>I should try to take as many comp sci classes as possible

Terrible advice. CS classes are a waste of time and money. It's just like taking college classes to learn MS Word or IE.

You're far better off learning CS and coding on your own. You really do not need hand holding to do so.
>>
Nice blog.

/adv/
>>
>>8229576
The issue is who you get stuck teaching. I had a terrible english teacher, lazy bitch who did nothing. Was horrible at actually teaching.

She was never in any danger of getting bad reviews though because she go to teach all the AP/Honors classes. The kinds of kids in AP/honors aren't going to fail because the teacher is shit.

And then we had a teacher that got stuck teaching remedial classes, who was constantly getting shit from the administration. What the fuck can he do? If a kid doesn't give enough of a shit to pass the easy standardized test then how is he magically going to make them care?
>>
>>8229466
Worth noting that it matters what math class you're teaching. You'll get stuck with at least a few general/remedial math classes. 100% about getting students to be under control and try just a little bit. The math you're teaching them is dumbed down arithmatic. If you're super lucky and get into the high level class, like an IB class, then getting students to try becomes a lot easier, and the classes are smaller, and instead you start teaching 1st year university math. But you have to be lucky and established to get that position. So you'd better like the teaching part of being a math teacher, cause 95%+ will be just getting the class interested and to prevent a miniature riot.
>>
>>8229466

>not a high school teacher but have done research and tutored high schoolers and college students. I also have been a grader for one of my professors.

If you teach at a college you'll be a lot more free in your lesson plan you'll just have to make sure you satisfy the student learning outcomes. Also the students care a little bit more because some are paying out of pocket.

Unless you teach at a prestigious academy, teaching high school takes a lot of resilience. There's plenty of bureaucracy involved when it comes to test scores. Also prepare to do some scandalous shit to help out those athletes. Some athletes are bright students, but if you have a championship on the line you need to make sure every student passes your geometry course.

The thing that really hurts though is the fact your limited in what you can teach in high school.

However, everyone remembers a great teacher. We need more teachers that can help the students become productive human beings, not shitposters on 4chan.
>>
>>8230133
That's another thing too, teaching at the university level sounds so much nicer. There's not as much stability in it from what I understand though. Community college would also be pretty nice too.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.