[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I read the space shuttle Atlantis travelled 126 million miles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: space-shuttle-atlantis-opening-1.jpg (218KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
space-shuttle-atlantis-opening-1.jpg
218KB, 1280x848px
I read the space shuttle Atlantis travelled 126 million miles from 33 launches...

Are space shuttles more fuel efficient than cars?
>>
>>8229010
>I read the space shuttle Atlantis travelled 126 million miles from 33 launches...
>But I didn't read how much fuel it consumed during these 33 launches
>can I draw fuel efficiency conclusions from this?
aren't you supposed to be huffing glue somewhere in the corner over there?
>>
File: 640px-STS122_Atlantis.jpg (122KB, 640x969px) Image search: [Google]
640px-STS122_Atlantis.jpg
122KB, 640x969px
>>8229015

.... Dude, the majority of rocket fuel in this picture is solid propellant, right?

Liquid fuel is much heavier, right?

Look how big a 4 million gallon tank is. Its fucking BIG. And if you drive a car that gets 30 mpg, you'd use muvch more than 4 million gallons to go 126,000,000 miles.

This is kinda my basis for my argument

The logical conclusion is we should all drive spaceships to save the planet and truly go green.
>>
>>8229062
>The logical conclusion is we should all drive spaceships to save the planet and truly go green.
no
>>
>>8229062
>what is friction
>what is orbit
>>
>>8229093
this

By the same logic you could say a parked cr travelled millions of miles, since the planet is moving
>>
>>8229010
>Are space shuttles more fuel efficient than cars?

No. They are horrifically fuel inefficient. You judge the efficiency while the fuel is being used, not while it isn't being used. On flat ground you measure the fuel being used, not while the car's engine is turned off and it is coasting down a mountain. The same goes for a shuttle, you only measure it while it is burning fuel to lift off, and anything it expends while maneuvering.

>>8229062
Incorrect. Let's break it down to 1 mission as an example.

Car, 39mpg, travels a round trip to a destination only 416 km/258 miles away, on flat ground in a straight line, total travel distance is 832km/516 miles.
Fuel used: 13.23 gallons of gas (81.80 pounds of gallon).

Shuttle, travels a round trip to a destination only 416 km/258 miles away, (ISS), but is unable to make a straight line. Total travel distance: 8,505,161 km/5,284,862 miles (STS-135)
Fuel used: 1 million pounds of solid propellant and 173,900 pounds of liquid propellant (1,173,900lbs total).

Car: 0.14lbs of fuel per 1 mile
Shuttle: 0.22lbs of fuel per 1 mile (total distance traveled)
Shuttle: 2,275lbs of fuel per 1 mile (straight line distances to/from ISS)

Because the shuttle has to take the long way around to reach the destination, its fuel efficiency is actually pretty fucking terrible. It is akin to a car using 1,173,900lbs of gasoline to travel from NYC to Columbus, Oh. because the driver decided to take the long route that is 5,284,862 miles instead of 516 miles because the vehicle just can't drive straight there due to how it is designed.
>>
>>8229286
You are using waaay too much energy on this stupid tread
>>
>>8229087

Jesus Christ, dude, I was trying to fit a joke in.
>>
>>8229093
>>8229111

Uh.... That's kinda MY FUCKING POINT.

Space shuttles can achieve orders of magnitude better fuel efficiency than cars in theory, in fact they can be virtually unlimitedly more fuel efficient because after an initial boost they can have the same gas milage as this planet as it soars through space.

>>8229470

No, he's not. I troll almost always. I've seen people go for hours.

He's just smart and spent a few minutes entertaining stupid questions.

He's the hero we need.
>>
>>8229286

OP here. You measure fuel efficiency while you are TRAVELLING. Not necessary while fuel is used.

Kinda like coasting in your car down a hill with the engine off. If you include motoring up the hill its fair to take advantage of the trip down.
>>
Bump to remind sci it suks
>>
why are you replying to an obvious bait thread

for fuck's sake.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.