[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

China's 'Good Will Hunting?' Migrant worker solves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/17/asia/china-migrant-worker-good-will-hunting/

>A Chinese migrant worker with no college degree has found a solution to a complex math problem -- in what appears to be a real life version of the Oscar-winning movie "Good Will Hunting."

>Yu Jianchun, who works for a parcel delivery company, said he'd always had a passion for numbers and has created an alternative method to verify Carmichael numbers.

>His solution amazed academics, who said his proof was much more efficient than the traditional one.

>Carmichael numbers are sometimes described as "pseudo primes" -- they complicate the task of determining true prime numbers, which are divisable only by 1 and itself. They play an important role in computer science and information security.

>Yu worked on his proof during his free time while building a new home in his village last year.

What does /sci/ think? Did he done it?
>>
Gonna laugh if some peasant living in China breaks RSA.
>>
>However, at age 33 and still single, he says his primary concern is to get married.

Smart people in America avoid starting a family like it's the plague. Smart people in China make it their life goal.
>>
>>8214112
ofc he did it, why do you assume that he didn't? The only thing bothers me about this headline is the word "migrant". No. He's not. He's Chinese, living in China. I couldn't give a single fuck that he traveled 2000 kms inside China to get a living, plastering it with the word "migrant" is just another try from the western media to get clicks on facebook. Fucking annoying.
>>
>>8214112
>mfw the complexity in OP's pic drags my attention to it for at least 10 minutes
>>
>>8214176
That's what migrant worker means, /pol/tard.
>>
>>8214176
In China you need a special paper to enjoy the benefits of government services of a big city. To get that paper you need to have roots in that city or pay tons of fines and apply for it.

So being an internal migrant is similar to being a migrant.

>>8214159
Weren't Gauss' parents total peasants. It wouldn't be that out of the ordinary.

Kudos to the Yu. I hope he gets offered a living stipend and a scholarship.
>>
Whatever feelings of inadequacy and insignificance I have, I can only imagine Chinese people feel it worse in their weird society. I root for them whenever possible.

I hope he actually solved it
>>
>>8214196
Still, it's misleading. The meaning has changed a lot and the title tries really hard to convey the stupid libertarian dialogue that migrants are skilled and smart people. Just like they did with Steve Jobs. Yes, he was a child of Syrian refugees that dumped him and raised by an American family with American values. Actually he despised his biological parents and would not make contact with them if not get famous.
The newsworthy material in this story is that the dude has found another solution to some obscure mathematical problem while not having any academical history in fact living in poverty day-by-day.
>>
>>8214197
>being an internal migrant is similar to being a migrant
>need to have roots in that city or pay tons of fines

Here in Europe all you have to do is reach a Schengen border. After that, since the law is all fucked up by bureaucracy and there's virtually no background checks you can do whatever you want, go wherever you'd like and apply for social services, aids and whatnot as you like.
>>
>>8214112
>posted to /sci/
>literally 0 comments relating to the math or the proof, just political retardation
>>
>>8214247
tl;dr
>>
>>8214247
it's a shitty popsci article that doesn't give any details. plus, the result isn't all that interesting or significant.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.