[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate to make a thread but this is really really troubling me.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: MyStereogram.jpg (84KB, 621x375px) Image search: [Google]
MyStereogram.jpg
84KB, 621x375px
I hate to make a thread but this is really really troubling me. I'm a Sophomore and I am meeting with the advisor tomorrow to choose my major. This whole time I have been doing CS/Math classes and I still just can't decide which to declare as my major.

I thought I knew but after months of reading CS hate here and the fact that I am extremely interested in crypto I am totally up in the air. I want to do a programming type job, but my personal interests are mostly the more mathematical side of things.

But I am extremely worried about if I get a Mathematics degree of my resume getting filtered out for not having a CS degree, and going into interviews/jobs unprepared to do the software engineer- sort of stuff.

I knew exactly what I wanted and then you all ruined it for me with your elegant talk of 300k starting and any job I want.

I am going to be up all night going back and forth, help me decide /sci/ I can't do both..
>>
go into CS, you obviously like it better and liking math can help you be good with your CS degree.
don't let memes decide on what you wanna do for most of your life.
>>
>math PhD
>300k starting
>any job i want
>>
what is that stereogram, it doesnt look like shit
>>
File: nigga.jpg (48KB, 529x700px) Image search: [Google]
nigga.jpg
48KB, 529x700px
>>8211957
>I thought I knew but after months of reading CS hate here
Is this really how you make your major life decisions?
>>
you do realize /sci/ is 99% shitposting, right? even by (especially by) the people here with advanced degrees?
>>
OP, realize first that your resume will not be filtered out because you have a degree in mathematics and not in CS. In fact, all my mathematics professor brag about how highly reccommended mathematicians are in CS jobs.

That being said, CS is sort of a waste of time compared to mathematics. The depth of the degree in mathematics will trump the CS degree in almost every aspect, except for the fact you are not forced to take programming courses.

I've been hired by companies for programming before, despite never taking a programming course and only claiming to have done programming in my spare time.

That being said, a CS degree isn't useless, contrary to popular-/sci/ belief. It is useful, just perhaps not as useful as a mathematics degree.

Consider majoring in mathematics and taking a minor in CS, or perhaps taking an honours major in mathematics, then take all the CS courses for your electives.

Also, a pro tip for anyone in general: don't pick your major for a job. Pick your major for what you are interested in, otherwise you will suck at it and get bad grades and you won't impress employers anyways.
>>
>>8211957
My university has a lot of people working in crypto. It isn't uncommon for math or CS students to do an emphasis in crypto and many courses are double listed (listed as both a CS class and a math class).

I wouldn't be surprised if your university had some similar dynamic.

The real differences between doing CS or math for crypto will be the "other" (non-crypto related) classes you'll end up taking. Some courses in the math department aren't likely to be useful to you at all unless you plan on doing research in crypto. Some courses in comp sci won't be useful to you at all unless you plan on getting a programming job.

A couple things worth noting are that crypto uses abstract algebra a good amount. You may find it worthwhile to take the intro abstract algebra course in the math department though this isn't really required as crypto courses will give you a very basic introduction to the topics used in the course. Also, Infosec and crypto are different things altogether (If you're interested in infosec then stick to the CS department).

Don't be surprised if a few years down the road you decide that crypto really isn't that interesting to you. It's hard to really know what it's about until you've actually been exposed to it.

Another thing to note is that CS departments vary a lot from university to university and country to country. My CS department is very theory based and covers many topics at the undergrad level that memers on /sci/ claim aren't covered until grad school. It helps that my university doesn't require many breadth courses so CS students don't waste time on weird shit like physics. Math departments vary less. You will have a bunch of babby math, two analysis courses, and then possibly one or two abstract algebra courses and a topology course (some math departments don't distinguish between pure and applied programs).
>>
File: CS.jpg (96KB, 650x369px)
CS.jpg
96KB, 650x369px
>>8211957
>But I am extremely worried about if I get a Mathematics degree of my resume getting filtered out for not having a CS degree

No, in fact you're in danger of having your resume filtered out with a CS degree. Employers are wising up to how much of a joke CS really is.
>>
>>8212115

What is that off of?
>>
The only thing you can do with a BS in Math is teach Math.
>>
>>8212122
the CS sux0rz meme thread general
>>
>>8212122
Template requirements for technical jobs at usajobs.gov
>>
>>8212125
University isn't job training.
>>
>>8212179
What? It literally is.
>>
>>8212010
>>8212040

Both the math and CS department are weak at the school I'm at. The math department seems pretty typical but not a lot of variety in the electives to chose from.

But the CS department is code monkey tier, basically feels like a software engineering degree with some theory classes but not a lot..

I think the minor might be a good idea, but I really want to be able to support myself with a programming job while working on projects. I want to be able to reasonably know enough CS that I can still get a reasonable job with it..

I guess my question becomes how reasonable is it to get a Sdev job with a Mathematics degree? anyone here done it?
>>
File: 213.jpg (26KB, 400x300px)
213.jpg
26KB, 400x300px
>>8211957
>stereograms
>2016
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.