[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between vacuum energy and dark energy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (625KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
625KB, 2560x1440px
What's the difference between vacuum energy and dark energy?

Is it that vacuum energy is equivalent to zero point energy as measured by the Casimir effect, Lamb shift and spontaneous decay?

And that dark energy is a hypothesised form of energy made up of zero point energy and scalar fields, such as the Higgs field, that permeates all of space and which would therefore explain the accelerating expansion of the universe?

So one is an experimentally verified phenomenon, while the other is an unverified hypothesis that intends to explain an observed phenomenon?
>>
>>8205578
The difference is that dark energy is 10^115 times as powerful as the expected effect of vacuum energy.
>>
>>8205578
>What's the difference between vacuum energy and dark energy?
one is real, the other is not
>>
>>8205582

Right ok, so the accelerating expansion of the universe would require that much energy.

So we're left with a massive amount of mystical invisible energy?

>>8205586

That sounds a lot like:

>So one is an experimentally verified phenomenon, while the other is an unverified hypothesis that intends to explain an observed phenomenon

So, ok cool.
>>
>>8205582

>The difference is that dark energy is 10^115 times as powerful as the expected effect of vacuum energy.

Just to clarify...

So the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate and this acceleration has to be due to some form of energy.

However, the energy required to provide for the observed acceleration is 10^115 larger than what can be accounted for by vacuum energy?
>>
>>8205595
I take it back

I looked up what they mean with vacuum energy and that sounds like fiction too
>>
>>8205603
>I looked up what they mean with vacuum energy and that sounds like fiction too
That's silly. I suppose you don't into quarks.

>>8205595
Yes, and we call that mystical invisible energy "dark energy" regardless of what is responsible for it.
>>
>>8205605
what about quarks

how are they related to vacuum energy
>>
>>8205605

>Yes, and we call that mystical invisible energy "dark energy" regardless of what is responsible for it.

Ok, brilliant.

>>8205608

I think he might be referring to the observation that quarks only make up 5% the mass of a proton; this wouldn’t make much sense without vacuum energy.

Is that correct?

I’m unsure of my knowledge about all this.
>>
>>8205611
>The rest masses of quarks contribute only about 1% of a proton's mass, however.[2] The remainder of a proton's mass is due to quantum chromodynamics binding energy, which includes the kinetic energy of the quarks and the energy of the gluon fields that bind the quarks together
t. kikepedia
>>
File: qcdvacuum3.gif (516KB, 316x236px)
qcdvacuum3.gif
516KB, 316x236px
>>8205608
>>
>>8205617

Shit 1%, ok cheers.
>>
File: 1455220291298.gif (3MB, 400x311px)
1455220291298.gif
3MB, 400x311px
>>8205627
>reverse image search
>funnyjunk and stringshit
>This is the QCD String Model “Lava Lamp.” It is an excellent animation of the 4 dimensional structure of the long-distance aspects of the QCD vacuum. (Credit: Derek B. Leinweber)
fuck you for wasting 1 minute of my life
>>
>>8205646

Why did he waste your life?

Tell me, anon!
>>
File: 1467127059435.jpg (6KB, 200x200px)
1467127059435.jpg
6KB, 200x200px
>>8205649
>>
>>8205651

That doesn't even make any sense, anon.

Stop posting memes when you don't even understand how to use them.

Actually, just stop posting memes and reply to my post.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.