[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so I've been thinking about how fiction other than star

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: beam_katana.jpg (18KB, 583x640px) Image search: [Google]
beam_katana.jpg
18KB, 583x640px
so I've been thinking about how fiction other than star wars rationalizes the idea of lightsabers actually working
the usual problem that arises when thinking about how to make one that actually works (using just a high-powered laser for a blade, not contained plasma) is "the blade will never end"
but is it impossible to contain a laser beam? could you not potentially build some kind of containment unit to cap the blade, with a photovoltaic system to reduce energy loss?
>>
>>8194606
I've thought about this.

IF you could get a high enough power laser, you could have a small bar run parallel to it, with a lens on the top. The lens(or set of lenses) would be concave(toward the laser) and refract the light, spreading out the beam over a large area so it is virtually harmless.

Of course, nobody wants a metal beam on their light-saber. But that's the only practical way I see.
>>
>>8194636
the laser blade literally is extendable. Why not just have the laser surround the metal bar, and the energy is obviously so concentrated you can't see through it, so the bar in the center is concealed? As it extends, the blade grows in length
>>
File: saber.png (17KB, 855x605px) Image search: [Google]
saber.png
17KB, 855x605px
>>8194705
picatar relatid
>>
>>8194705
In practical application, concealment of the metal band wouldn't matter. It would have to function as a one-edged saber, though.

Very similar to your picture, actually, but with a lens on the top end.
>>
>>8194606
Daily Reminder: Official Star Wars canon is that the blades of lightsabers are literally made of light. Not plasma, not some electrical current or a laser with an endcap. It's literally a blade of light that stops at a certain point, focused by internal crystals.
>>
>>8194705
>Why not just have the laser surround the metal bar, and the energy is obviously so concentrated you can't see through it
How does the laser "surround" the metal bar? Also, lasers are generally invisible.
>>
>>8194606

moe
>>
>>8194894
imho if you think star wars > star trek you should be flayed
>>
File: xy.jpg (81KB, 658x826px) Image search: [Google]
xy.jpg
81KB, 658x826px
this is how I imagined it.

I can imagine it being physically possible but I'm not imagining it to be a very practical invention.
>>
File: fairy-light-heart-brokenheart.gif (491KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
fairy-light-heart-brokenheart.gif
491KB, 480x270px
>>8195257
with this gif in mind
>>
>>8194917
This. Also wouldn't the laser damage whatever is keeping it in place since it's powerful enough to cut through flesh? Not like industrial lasers that would still take seconds for that, but like instantaneously. I'm guessing this is what you are aiming for after all.
>>
>>8194943

Holy shit fuck you and your jackal mother, tar trek was never believable to anybody with any kind of science background.

As for start wars: IT IS AND WAS ALWAYS BILLED AS A SPACE OPERA YOU TUMOR
>>
This thread is retarded. I just don't even know where to start here. Some of these ideas are just so wrong. Dammit, I just can't argue with manchildren about lightsabers anymore, I quit.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.