[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm doing some game design brainstorming and have a physics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 8D3CFh.jpg (149KB, 800x426px) Image search: [Google]
8D3CFh.jpg
149KB, 800x426px
I'm doing some game design brainstorming and have a physics related question.

If a sorcerer shoots lightning at someone 10 or so meters away on a sunny day, they will get a large zap. However, if it is raining heavily, they will receive a smaller zap, since the rain will dissipate the charge/energy? Most games will enhance the power of electricity under rainy conditions. Water can only be used to hit someone by proxy assuming they are touching a small body of contiguous water, and it would not enhance the effects.

???

thanks
>>
try touching an electric fence dry and then soaking wet, the difference might surprise you
>>
>>8192076
game design belong to >>>/v/
also you don't need that accurate kind of physics in video games.
>>
>>8192076
>since the rain will dissipate the charge/energy?
The electricity will take the shortest path. What significant dissipation do you expect?
>>
>>8192484
>also you don't need that accurate kind of physics in video games.
Not him, but fuck you, as a game dev yes I do.
>>
>>8192492
good luck wasting time on improvement your customers won't even notice
>>
>>8192076
I believe it could have to do with nucleur gravity and how it affects electron speed.
>>
>>8192536
I'm not EA, I'm not targeting the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>8192490
There would be negligible dissipation for each raindrop each touches i suppose, but it certainly wouldn't "enhance" it by increasing conductivity or velocity/force/energy towards the target

>>8192464
I see your point, i guess it assumes that if it is raining the target is wet

>>8192484
you may not have a high opinion of games, but it is still an evolving form of art. some games approach the sophistication of good literature. Things like this are also valuable for simulation. This sort of thinking is what prevents forward progress, try to keep an open mind

thanks for responses, i kind of see now it was a stupid question
>>
>>8192076
>magic
>shoots out lightning

Assuming this were possible, the lightning would almost certainly strike the wand/staff of the spellcaster.

My point is, why bother with physics in a world where physics clearly has no relevance?
>>
>>8192708
well, valid i suppose. i was thinking of a more physics based magic system though. Don't want to sperg out and explain it right now
>>
>>8192708
He's trying to add some realism. Just because he's bending the rules doesn't mean throwing physics out the door.

Do you think he should go ahead and get rid of gravity?
>>
>>8192808
if you're going to bend the rules, what's the point of asking about anything? it's completely arbitrary at that point.

the best you can do is make up some rules about how magic works. Once you do that, just apply them to whatever world you're building and some of the results might be interesting, giving the world character.

but if you want to add some more "granularity" to the realness of your world, try to make it consistent across the board
>>
>>8192076

use your imagination, stupid
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.