[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question to any EE types: do you have a preferred circuit simulator?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Is it smaller than a breadboard.jpg (82KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
Is it smaller than a breadboard.jpg
82KB, 480x320px
Question to any EE types: do you have a preferred circuit simulator? I'm taking an analog electronics lab right now but I'm both really sick and behind in the class because the lab hours are so restricted and I'd rather just work from home.
>>
Don't EEs use multisim
>>
Man how do poeple get the wires on the whiteboard so neatly? Mine are always a mess.

Have you considered SPICE?
>>
>>8189957
>>8189970

I'm pretty in the dark about all this stuff. I mean, the feature set I'm looking for is like a) has a function generator and b) has an oscilloscope sim so there are probably at least a couple of decent options, right?

I really dislike this class, though.
>>
>>8189970
>how do poeple get the wires on the whiteboard so neatly?
Autism. the only possible excuse for this excessive level of neatness
>>
>>8189970
It's called a breadboard and they are probably using those precut wire kits.
I make my jumper wires on the fly, so on the rare occasion when I use a breadboard, it looks like shit.

>>8189940
LTspice. It's free and very powerful. Multisim is pure shit.
>>
>>8189940
Another vote for LTSpice; don't use multisim.
>>
>>8190064
>>8190078

How's the learning curve? I'd preferably like something that can be used in a bit more of a basic way, I'm just doing real simple things like making LC circuits and playing with transformers right now. Powerful is good but if the interface is too much for a newbie like me then that won't be the right fit.
>>
Lol. I'm an EE and never use circuit sims. It's a broad field.
>>
>>8190117
It might appear at first to be a bit daunting, with it's win95-esq interface, but if you can get past that it is probably far more intuitive than multisim.

YouTube channel afrotechmods has a few intro level tutorials on LTSpice, might be worth checking them out, see if you can understand it enough. Once you've done a few circuits, you won't think the basics are that hard.
>>
>>8189940

Useless

>2016
>mostly everything is digital
>anything that's still analog is simple enough to not warrant simulation
>the rest is stuff circuit sim software can't handle
>>
LTspice
>>
>>8190211
I disagree entirely with this. There is plenty that is not digital, and not simple enough to not warrant simulation. Of the top of my head, both analogue control systems and smps designs often require careful refining and analysis through simulation.

This is, of course, disregarding the original intended use for spice software in general; simulating integrated circuits. "Everything is digital" is a fine assumption to make, until you realise that everything is not exactly 'digital' and is subjected to the nuances of the analogue world.
>>
>>8190211

It's for a class, dingdong, I don't have a choice. I don't even like analog.
>>
>>8190232

>everything is not exactly 'digital' and is subjected to the nuances of the analogue world.

So things easier to troubleshoot afterward not simulate before hand.
>>
>>8190253
You really think companies will be happy with you getting any more physical prototypes than absolutely necessary? There's a reason industry standard simulation software runs into the thousands of dollars per licence, and companies/universities will spend tens-hundreds of thousands of dollars developing their own simulation software.

>>8190245
I honestly don't care. 8190211 was talking crap.
>>
>>8189975
Multism has all that
>>
>>8189975
>function generator
made it ureself
and buy used hameg
>>
http://www.falstad.com/circuit/

this is the best because you can visualize currents and voltages.

Multisim if you're being professional
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.