[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a pre-med who's just realising that he's not cut

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.jpg (25KB, 516x233px) Image search: [Google]
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.jpg
25KB, 516x233px
Ask a pre-med who's just realising that he's not cut out for it, and is in fact, not as special as he'd like to think he was anything.
>>
Keep going. It will be funny
>>
>>8189275
Is your "special" defined as having enough patience and endurance to memorise whole books of raw data, as well as persevering even when you are toyed around during the merciless grind that is med school? If yes, kill self. If not, you might be redeemable after all, and study one of the natural sciences.
>>
>>8189279
Interestingly enough, my pre-med curriculum involved a low amount of memorizing, and more physics/chemistry/non-anatomical biology(IE: the non-rote-memorizing kind)

My "special" is just realising that even though I may do quite well, there are still hundreds who do better.
>>
>>8189289
You should be fine then. Yes, there are going to be lots of smarter people than you in the world, especially when you go to university, where people actually go to learn and distinguish themselves intellectually.

If you want to "do better", you have to work harder, that's pretty much it. If you feel too lazy to do that, then you don't really want to do better to the detriment of your other desires.

Med school isn't the alpha and omega of learning. All in all, you dodged a bullet. Just find another field you like a lot and engross yourself in that, you don't have to be the best.
>>
>>8189275
Don't give up yet! Medical school is the key to riches and tonnes of money, you will be massively successful as a doctor and make it big, if you perservere and have the intelligence to handle the curriculum. I will not lie - it is very rigorous and does take some memorizing. But in the end the money was worth it for me, and i'm sure it will be for you too friend.

Seek tutoring help perhaps? I'm sure there's lots of tutors to help you succeed here, just whatever you do, don't give up and "run away" to academia.

The 'sciences' there are only concerned with intellectual wankery and ritualistic research programmes, there is no real-world application of anything they learn, unlike in Medicine.
>>
>>8189289
>there are still hundreds who do better.

Medicine isn't a competition.

It is however a horrendously overrated profession. There's a reason why 40% of practicing MDs want to stop working in clinical practice and the vast majority of those who change to something else reports that they are very happe with their choice.

Your parents might be happy, but in the medical field you're a fucking nobody until you get a specialization and senior position when you're 45. You're expected to overwork yourself and perform like a state of the art machine despite that.

And if you're thinking about money: a plumber will easily earn more per hour and be allowed to do more independent work. And that's even before factoring in the debt and time spent in medschool.
>>
>>8189301
Medicine entry however is a competition;
~120/1500 in my cohort will get in. Because of this, even straight A's is generally not enough to get in
>>
>>8189300
while the sample size is limited.

the fact that these "science" don't have any real world applications is that there too much time taken up in the cirriculum reading books, and not nearly enough time spent learning the appropriate trade skills like welding, drafting and design, and the like. Which gets replaced with learning MATLAB or some other simulation software.
>>
>>8189306
Tough shit, you realize that the AMA keeping the number of medical school seats and MDs awarded artificially low is the only reason that doctors are paid so much, right?

No sympathy for premeds, you're all money hungry greedy fucks. At least aspiring ibankers and business school kids are honest about their greed however they rationalize it.
>>
>>8189275
>Ask a pre-med who's just realising that he's not cut out for it, and is in fact, not as special as he'd like to think he was anything.

I'm was in the same boat and quit university as well, except it was anything nearly as impressive as pre-med.

I just realized after about 9 months that I was an average piece of shit, and that the world needs plenty of dishwashers and plebeians in general.
>>
No one in this thread knows what the fuck they are talking about.
>>
Learn to weld. Welders get fuck-you money.
>>
>>8189275
Do you just not enjoy it? What are you thinking of switching to?
>>
>>8189440
Not really. On the ver top end they earn around $300K p.a., which is certainly very high but not quite fuck-you levels. On average they earn between $80-140K which is much less. Fuck-you money would begin at around half a million p.a., which is really only achievable by bankers, lawyers, doctors, high-ranking executives in big companies, or successful business owners.
>>
>>8189477
Actually, I was surprised by how much I ended up enjoying it. The problem was the grades: I'm at an A- (~82%) average, which by most measures is pretty good. However, here entry into the med program realistically requires something more like A to A+ (~87.5%.)

So unless I can get not only straight A+'s, but high A+'s this sem, I'm basically fucked.
>>
>>8189507

Stop being such a pussy. They don't just look at your grades anymore, this isn't 1970. You obviously don't want it enough if you're giving up because you have a A-.

/sci/ is a blog either. Go cry on SDN or reddit.
>>
Study engineering/a physical science

You get to do cool shit, get paid well, and not have to watch people die or see families get destroyed.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.