[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well here's something to think about. Its no secret the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 22.png (94KB, 284x108px) Image search: [Google]
22.png
94KB, 284x108px
Well here's something to think about.

Its no secret the majority of users on /sci/ believe they are exceptionally smart, much more so than the average person. To be clear, I am not questioning this statement, I am using this supposedly correct assumption for the following statements.

With people here being greatly intellectual, and able to pick up new subjects with ease on their own, why would anyone limit themselves to working for someone?

Surely with this this drive for learning and accrued knowledge, a person can choose to create something great themselves. Why depend on the average person to supply you with work, that in most cases will be meaningless? When instead, you can choose to bring about a change and attract others to work with you, all the while creating a sustainable profit.

What drives users of /sci/ away from this ideology?
>>
>>8172944
Because I can do what I want without dealing with all the bullshit of running my own business.
>>
working under someone is less responsibility, less risk
>>
>>8172956
This, but I'd like to add that owning a business takes too much time and can limit the learning capacity of a person.
>>
>>8172944
>why would anyone limit themselves to working for someone?
it's easier. idgaf about management crap.
I want learn more theorems
>>
I've reflected on this a lot and I'll start with this: I'm pretty sure I'm an actual genius. Not just in the high-IQ/is-good-at-numbers way (though I am both of those), but in the genuinely creative way. I think I honestly could contribute something beautiful and worthwhile to the world.

I've become disillusioned with the institution of the pure sciences, though. My interests are too broad to really be contained within scientific pursuits - I'm interested in science and math and computers and cryptography and simulation and linguistics and philosophy and writing and poetry and aesthetic and deconstruction and ethics and justice and religion and on and on and on. It's all so infinitely fascinating to me and I'm constantly synthesizing new elements into my worldview and trying to understand the construction and attribution of meaning to words and discourses and rituals and behaviors.

I can see a life for me as a professional interdisciplinary academic, but academia is stressful and graduate school doesn't seem to be in the cards for me in the immediate term (though I have the grades and research for it certainly). I think I'll likely settle into a comfortable job, probably something techy because I'm charismatic enough to convince employers that a physics degree totally qualifies me for a coding gig, and just write on the side. Maybe under a pseudonym. Dunno, we'll see I guess!
>>
>>8172991
>I've reflected on this a lot and I'll start with this: I'm pretty sure I'm an actual genius.
Into the trash with you.
>>
>>8173001

Yeah, I'd never admit it outside of the context of a thread like this because it's kind of a jerky thing to say. But honestly, I think it's true in my heart, which makes me a little uncomfortable.
>>
>>8172944
Because the scientific ideas that I have in my mind will not be funded. Humanity will not believe in them.

What interest does the average person have in discovering the elementary Graviton particle?

What interest does humanity have in mastering excitation of energy fields? Average Joe doesn't even know what that means, so the senator he elected won't fund it likely.

Will humans ever dominate the field of particle physics? Maybe. Will it be because they rallied behind me in support? Definitely not. Why? Because, as smart as you like to think you are, you do not possess the gift of intelligence. Not the kind that changes the world. But I'll give you a free insight.

All matter is energy. All energy originated in the appropriate fields. All physical particles are merely excitations of the corresponding field, with a matching antiparticle(s).

Feel smarter yet?
>>
Funding's the main issue for many. A passion for any pure science will eventually entail some form of research, and research will very seldom be lucrative, and I mean very seldom will it be profitable. When other people do the fundraising for you, that's more time to spend on your work relentlessly. Also, the head of any scientific gig wouldn't exactly be "average." CEOs of Fortune 500 companies are all EXTRAORDinarily intelligent, and anyone trusted with a scientific research gig I'd expect nothing less than 150 from. A 150 I.Q.

What's driving me away from the main premise is that it's simply time inefficient to raise your own money. Any questions?
>>
>>8172944
>>8172991
https://youtu.be/CVEuPmVAb8o
>>
>>8172944
Because running your own business means you spend less time doing the work you're qualified for/enjoy and more time doing actual business shit.
>>
>>8172991
>I'm interested in science and math and computers and cryptography and simulation and linguistics and philosophy and writing and poetry and aesthetic and deconstruction and ethics and justice and religion
Are you sure you're not just an individual with ADHD
>>
>>8173070

I hate you.
>>
>>8172944
>With people here being greatly intellectual, and able to pick up new subjects with ease on their own, why would anyone limit themselves to working for someone?
I make money by bidding on lots and making shit out of what I find, and forex trading.
>>
First of, I don't belive I'm exceptionally smart. I just don't underestimate the stupidity of avreage people.
Second, owning a business os a 24h job. I rather do my piss easy 9-5, and study things after work, or during in chilled periods.
Also as others said it's less responsibility
>>
So, everyone came up with those great arguments and OP is just going to stfu?
>>
>why would anyone limit themselves to working for someone?

Because that's how the economy works. You have skills, and you sell those skills to someone who has more money than you do.

Otherwise, if you want to work for yourself, that's how startups happen.
>>
>>8172944
>implying intellect has that much to do with skills needed for leading a company
>>
>>8172944
>Why depend on the average person to supply you with work, that in most cases will be meaningless?
Just make sure the person you work for isn't average and you won't have this problem.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.