[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be incorrect to say that spacetime behaves relationally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: world line.png (492KB, 2000x2042px) Image search: [Google]
world line.png
492KB, 2000x2042px
Would it be incorrect to say that spacetime behaves relationally but exists absolutely?
>>
We can perform a Lorenz transformation which means it is rational.

We can spin relative to space itself without any other need for a reference frame which means it exists absolutely.
>>
>>8172984
>We can spin relative to space itself without any other need for a reference frame which means it exists absolutely.

I've come to understand that this is still out there.

"In physics, the concept of absolute rotation--is a topic of debate..." -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_rotation

"Alternatively, these experiments provide an operational definition of what is meant by "absolute rotation", and do not pretend to address the question of "rotation relative to what?"." -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_spheres
>>
>>8173211

General relativity gives strong evidence that space must exist absolutely. Gravitational waves demonstrate that space can behave like a medium. There's also the idea of curving space. If space can curve then it must exist absolutely in order to have shape.
>>
>>8173764
Well I don't know anything about that.

Just saying spinning "relative to absolute space" isn't something you can just state as fact.
>>
>>8173921

Well we know from gravity probe B that space can spin (Twist rather) relative to a stationary observer. There is as far as I know overwhelming evidence to support the claim that space exists absolutely. It simply has so many definite physical properties that you simply can't call it nothing.
>>
>>8173921
>I don't understand you
>say I'm right
Are you legitimately dumb?
>>
The strange thing about spacetime is that we can formulate its behavior meaning that it is rational but everything observed in spacetime must correspond to a constant speed of light which is counter intuitive. Rational but counter-intuitive.
>>
Fucking shit popping out of thin air at least try to make past people understand or aliby
>>
>>8173211
It's also a pretty shitty example to give, because general relativity already includes something that is absolute - acceleration.

While velocity is relative, acceleration is not - accelerating reference frames are distinct and not interchangeable with inertial frames.

The spinning bucket argument is actually a good example of this phenomenon; a non-inertial choice of reference frame will require illusory forces to account for observed behavior, such as the centrifugal force on the water.
>>
>>8172917
The universe contains itself.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.