[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any major results provable with the Axiom of Choice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1450660787192.gif (2MB, 249x337px) Image search: [Google]
1450660787192.gif
2MB, 249x337px
Are there any major results provable with the Axiom of Choice that aren't provable with the Axiom of Countable Choice?
>>
>>8171727
bamp for interest
>>
Ramsey theory
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom_of_countable_choice
>>
>>8171727

AC or an equivalent axiom is needed to prove results on uncountable sets in general.

There is no other way to attack uncountable sets, although once one result has been obtained using AC there is no need to invoke it again (for example, Heine-Borel in real analysis can give you results about uncountable closed and bounded sets without directly invoking AC, but this result is itself derived from some version of AC).
>>
The first one that comes to mind is the fact that for every uncountable family of nonempty sets there is an element in their product. :-]
>>
>>8171727
Every vector space has a basis, among probably many other things that haven't been proven to require it yet.

Wikipedia is your friend.
>>
>>8173212
>Every vector space has a basis

What would this mean? If it were not for the axiom of choice then there would exist some vector space that is impossible to describe?
>>
>>8173224
without the axiom of choice there exists an infinite-dimensional vector space with no basis
>>
>>8173271
what's the name of it?
>>
>>8173273
its a nonconstructive theorem. to construct a basis for an arbitrary infinite dimensional vector space you consider the set of all linearly equivalent subsets of your vector space. using zorn's lemma (equivalent to axiom of choice) lets you choose a maximal subset among all those that are linearly independent.
>>
>>8173273

I think the statements are equivalent.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.